kateina_vlkov81

Does the wall with bookshelves feel unbalanced?

Hi! This is my living room and it somehow feels a bit unbalanced when I sit on a sofa and look at the bookshelves (or I might be overthinking, that's why I'm here 😂). The top of the red picture and the top floating shelf are leveled and the 3 pictures hanging above the sofa which are centered to the same height as the picture on the opposite wall. Thanks for any recommendations!

Comments (11)

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the idea! I used to have higher things there, but it felt like the picture was too low then ᾑ4

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

But you might be onto something! It doesn't look like it's trying to be in a line now. I'll play with it more. What do you think?

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It feels better. Thank you!

• tamp75
    2 years ago

Strange but that does make a difference! I think the picture is fine because it aligns with the lower shelf.

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would never think of that! So really thank you. You saved me an unnecessary hole in a wall as I would try to put the picture higher. I love it now.

• Breda
    2 years ago

I think the bookcase is too high for the space and dominating it too much and throwing everything else off. Lower level storage like IKEA...Havesta (glass storage unit) or Besta units which all have great variety of colour and styles would work great and really add high style impact. I like your grey and yellow toned in room.

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Breda! Thanks for the comment. Unfortunately I can't move that bookcase cause the wall behind it is not painted and the paint job was done recently so I can't imagine doing it again now ὢC but thanks!

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I always put tall things on the left anyway but I’d move the lamp the other side of the chair as it looks as if it has its back to the bookcase which feels a bit odd for a reading area.

I’d also try the rug under one or two of the front feet. Perhaps also rearrange the books so you don’t have that big block of pinks adjacent to the art?

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi! Thanks for the ideas, it improved the space, I think!

• Kateřina Vlčková
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a better photo with a different lighting situation ὠA

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.