jaydigs

Fence Panels and Stakes Colour Dilemma

Jason Digs
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Houzzers,

I am having a paint/colour dilemma and wondered if you might be able to help me identify the right colour paint(s) for my Fence Panels and Stakes.

Here is a picture of my fence panels

The floor will consist of a light Indian Grey Stone and an area for some Artificial Turf. Perhaps a different this view of the garden will help. I have marked out the plan in a very rough way:

The Indian Stone looks like this when Dry (pretty silvery):

The Indian Stone looks like this when Wet (slightly dull or similar to the stakes):

Given the above, what panels/stakes colour or combo do you think looks best? FYI, the garden isn't massive but is a medium size.

Light Grey Wood Panels and Concrete Stakes

Light Grey Wood Panels and Dark Grey Concrete Stakes

Dark Grey Wood Panels and Dark Concrete Stakes

Dark Grey Wood Panels and Light Grey Concrete Stakes

I'll put it to a poll but happy for any comments.

Thank you for reading!

Light Grey Wood Panels and Concrete Stakes
Light Grey Wood Panels and Dark Grey Concrete Stakes
Dark Grey Wood Panels and Dark Concrete Stakes
Dark Grey Wood Panels and Light Grey Concrete Stakes

Comments (18)

• minnie101
    2 years ago

I think the dark grey will give contrast with both the stone and planting and create depth.

I’m not too keen on either of the options with the posts a different colour as they really stand out

Jason Digs thanked minnie101
  • Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both and all that have voted.

I have just replaced the picture showing the paving stone. There are two pictures. One when the stone is dry and one when it is wet.

It seems like the poll is leading with dark panels.

I have not made my mind up on the sleepers/planters yet. Do I leave them as-is, oiled, varnished or painted in the same fence colour or another colour.....I can't visualize this until the flooring goes in, Any thoughts?

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

Posts and fencing need to be the same colour. There is now so much choice it’s a minefield. I have Silver Copse (mid grey) on both sides of mine and then Iris (dark blue) at the top of my garden. Both are from the Cuprinol Garden Shades which is fabulously easy to apply.

Jason Digs thanked Daisy England
  • Sonia
    2 years ago

Whatever colour you choose just make sure the fence and the posts are the same colour, otherwise you are hilighting the least attractive part. I prefer the pale grey all over, but I know I’m in the minority.

Jason Digs thanked Sonia
  • Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sonia and Daisy. Posts will be painted the same. I just need to go get a masonry equivalent Anthracite Grey paint as the one I have is only suitable for wood surfaces. I found a place to get it thought. New pictures coming soon

• Juliet Docherty
    2 years ago

My sister mixed a purple stain with a dark brown to get a nice deep colour to set off the lime green plants. Have a look on @hovehomemakeover

Jason Digs thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    2 years ago

Do the rear dark and the sides pale grey, like a feature wall in a room.

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    2 years ago

Where the beds are higher than the base of the fence panel, (why would you do that?) you need to put a scaffold board to retain the soil and not just plastic. If you ever have to lift a panel it won't all collapse in to you neighbours garden.

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi AG, please can you highlight on a screenshot where you mean please? Sorry I'm not that Garden savvy

New pictures:

• Daisy England
    2 years ago

He means looking at your first photo on the right hand side the planter is higher than the bottom of the fence board

• PRO
    Paintforme
    2 years ago

Hi Jason,

If light grey suit you then great.

Plants and plastic green, fence and pavement grey. Them, build the social space in it's accent colour. Stunning.

Kind Regards,

Paintforme

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A quick update here ladies and gentlemen. Here are a few pictures of what the garden looks like right now.

The current state would be equal to poll option 4 (Dark Panels with Grey/Natural stakes). I'm not a fan.

I think I'm going with the most popular poll vote - option 3 (Dark Panels and Dark Stakes)

The next big question will be the colour of the planters/sleepers. I have added a couple of pictures of the two colours I am toying around with. I like the lighter silvery grain colour....but I will wait until the stakes are painted before deciding on the sleepers. 

Next update soon.

• pmasmith3
    2 years ago

The fence colour is lovely and when the posts are painted the same colour it will really highlight your planting. The sleepers in their natural colour add warmth to the landscaping and will fade to a silvery colour in time. I prefer the sleepers in their natural state.

Jason Digs thanked pmasmith3
  • Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I actually agree with you PMASMITH. The natural colour looks great. I am contemplating to sand them and just put some clear varnish over them. Thoughts?

• pmasmith3
    2 years ago

Mine are oak and not treated - they just turn a lovely silvery grey. They have a few cracks in them , but to me that shows that they real and not fake. To be honest, once the beds are planted your eye is drawn to the plants, not the structure. Good luck!

• C D
    2 years ago

Please consider real grass :) it is cheaper and so much better for the environment. 😉

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Afternoon everybody. So here is the latest image of the garden. Slowly getting there.

I have noticed a weird thing in that when rain water hits the patio, it collects in the areas marked with arrows.

The areas collect water, dirt and leaves and looks unattractive on the eye. It's also important to note that the texture of the Indian Sandstone paving tiles has ridges or patterned wells in some of the tiles if that makes sense. The texture isn't flat smooth for every tile. Some tiles have a natural gap, which I believe collects the water and prevents it from running down and off.

Is there anything I can do about this? As you can see from the image, the garden is bone dry on the whole but pretty horrible in the said/arrowed areas.

Thanks for your support.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.