webuser_657971427

Soundproofing in cottage

Adam McCann
2 years ago

Hi all! We’re in the process of renovating a Victorian cottage that has a shared wall with our current rental property. We know the sound (especially conversations) travel through the wall. We’re currently exploring all options to minimise the transfer of sound.

I’d love to hear from anyone who has similar cottage experiences and has implemented some soundproofing boards or air gaps and what you have found works or doesn’t work.

Picture attached of one of the little noise makers.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Comments (7)

• Jonathan
    2 years ago

Most likely above floor level there is a layer of plaster on each side of the wall… but if you take up the floor you might well find this is your weak point. Insulation or expandable foam will help.

Exposed floorboards, exposed brick walls, the absence of soft furnishings all contribute to the problem.

You might also see if there is a shared attic, shared chimney flue, holes between cellars that could be identified as the problem.

• Katt Winter
    2 years ago

We “dot & dabbed” acoustic plasterboard to the adjoining walls then plastered over and that’s helped slightly. We’re awaiting carpet to be fitted upstairs with the hope that’ll kill anything else but it’s unlikely to stop everything. Our neighbours are quiet but our dogs are not so we’ve tried our best to contain the madness in our house.

• rinked
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Our 1950s terrace has 13cm concrete walls (interior and exterior), early prefab with tons of gaps. First thing we did was foam up the gaps we could reach. The noisiest part was in the kitchen, could hear the neighbours talk..

We placed wooden pillars from floor to ceiling(-beam), NOT touching the neighbouring wall. Rockwool inbetween, could use soundproofing material instead. And then 22mm plywood, as our kitchen would go against that wall (would have used plasterboard for bare wall).

It did cost us about 15cm floorspace, but was well worth the sound reduction.

• Lynne Gough
    2 years ago

You could add a thin layer of cork to the walls then add your plasterboard. The sort on a roll is pliable so will stick well to wonky walls if necessary. Not a cheap option but efficient.

• Sandie Fowler
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I recently had soundproofing added to my 2 bedroom walls to help with current and future noise - my neighbours are expecting a baby. 3 layers of soundproofing taking up about 15cm of room space and finished with panelling. A great investment!

• convent101_shopping
    2 years ago

Good day Sandie - did you use a company to do the work? If yes, who?

If not what items did you use as I would like to do bedroom and living room......

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.