jaydigs

Help - Sleepers, Patios, Walkways, Turf or all 4

Jason Digs
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Dear Houzz Community,

You have been absolutely awesome with some of the other design questions I have posted in the past. I was wondering if I could now lean on your support to get some guidance around the best layout to go for my rear garden please.

These are two similar but slightly different images taken from my Kitchen window. I was curious as to how do the layout? FYI, the sun usually shines down in the area at the back of the garden (opposite end of where I was standing when taking these photos).

My initial thoughts were something like this but to tell you the truth, I have zero knowledge when it comes to gardening. The following is based on me standing from where the photos were taken:

• Non-slip porcelain tiles at the back of the garden (3M from the back fence) for a patio area
  • Non-slip porcelain tiles at the back of the house (where I am standing) (1M from house wall)
  • Non-slip porcelain tiles to create a left and right walk-way
  • Sleepers going around the gardens left, back and right fence (horse-shoe shape)
  • Astro-turf or turf in the middle

I was thinking of going for a grey/slate coloured tile to match the drive way at the front and the white render of the house. This would give the front-to-back a natural flow? If it helps, I can provide an image of the front drive-way although I have a massive thread on here that has images of it already.

The kitchen door (exit to the garden) is at the right of where I am standing when taking the pictures. Its basically on the right side of the house wall. When you walk out, you are literally stood to the right side of the garden where the neighbours fence is.

The fence to the left was only installed yesterday. It will turn the same colour as the one at the back as the sun tans its.

Honestly speaking, I just want a nice open feel in the garden, not too much going on, no neighbours looking in and just being able to sit, eat and chill with friends and family on a nice summers day. I am completely open to altering my plan so please feel free to express your thoughts.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

Window Shot 1

Window Shot 2

EDIT to original post - adding a picture from rear fence to back of house and 360 degree window. The approximate length of the garden is 11.5meters.

Rear Shot

Video - 360 Degrees

https://streamable.com/fm3g6i

Comments (11)

• PRO
    The Rooted Concept Garden Designs
    2 years ago

Hi,
    You have a very nice blank canvas there!

Two paved areas with lawn in the middle sounds good if you want an "open feel" to the garden. I would add that you will idealy need some sort of screening at the back end of the garden since you have these neighbouring windows that look right into your space.
    I would also add that you will need to introduce different heights to your garden so that it doesnt look all flattened and dull. You could think about adding natural features such as small trees or structures such as a pergola or arches.
    Lastly, I would add some planting spaces surrounding the seating area and use aromatic plants to give it a nice fragrant cozy feel when you are enjoying the garden.

If you need any further help, please have a look at the range of online garden design services ( including the very budget friendly garden sketch) that i offer and at my portfolio on my website www.therootedconceptgardendesign.co.uk
    I would be very happy to help you with this project!

All the best,
    Deborah
    The Rooted Concept Garden Design

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Edited original post to add another picture from the rear and a 360 degree video.

• kl55hp
    2 years ago

I found this on-line and thought it might give you a few ideas. You can find other ideas by googling "small north facing garden". One choice you will need to make is whether you would prefer the garden to be linear or curvilinear.

• Saah HArgreaves
    2 years ago

I would not have left and right pathways in such a narrow garden as it would make it feel small and squeezed. I like kl55hp's design, although you maybe want a bit more paving at the house end.

• THKa{[8]}
    2 years ago

Brffn

• GJ Dee
    2 years ago

Wow! That is a beautiful transformation.

• pjdklm
    2 years ago

Hi- when we redid our similar sized & shaped garden, we laid our paving in a “sideways U shape”. That gives us space to have a rocking chair next to the house, a shed area in the back corner, and a nice long space for dining along the side. The other side is laid with lawn. We have a narrow 20cm border around the perimeter that is wide enough for jasmine plants and spring bedding. Our “shed” at the back is made with 2 additional fence panels, one set at 90 degrees off the property border fence post, and another made into a door using hinges and a castor wheel. It’s topped by a polycarbonate roof.

I’ve attached a picture looking down on it, and the another that looks back towards the house.

• Julian Cheese
    2 years ago

1m paving next to the house is too small a width if you can stretch out even to 1.5m to 2m it will make using it easier. On very hot days !!! you will be glad of a shady place to sit.

• Julian Cheese
    2 years ago

Pjdklm I love your shed

• Jason Digs
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hello Houzzers,

I hope you are well. I just wanted to share the latest update with you. From the images and video originally posted, I am making slow but decent progress with the back garden. Since my last update the following has happened:

• New fencing on right side of garden
    • Sleepers installed in a stepped fashion. I am thinking of planting veg in the first segment/step on the right side and fruit in the first segment/step on the left side. Second segment/step area would be some nice colourful plants with at a short height and last segment/step around the patio will be taller plants/trees even higher. So when looking from the back of the house to the rear of the garden the plants get taller as the steps get taller.

New Video - https://streamable.com/bks6en

Question - In the video, there are some pavers temporarily on the floor nearest to the camera (three in total, different sizes) - this is going to be the path to the step-up patio area. The path ends to the step of the patio area. That step, I have 2 options for the face of it:

1. Put a sleeper all the way across and then pave flush to the top of that sleeper. So you will have paving stone path, sleeper across the face of the step, paving stone patio.
    2. Use the same paving stone for the face of the step. So you will have paving stone path, paving step face and paving stone patio. All a continuous flow.

In the video, you can see both options for the step face. The paving face is demo'ed on the right side where he temporarily laid the stone against the face. Here is an image of that:

• What are your thoughts so far?
    • Which of the two options for the patio step face would you go for?
    • Would you have a lip for the patio step?

Extra Info:

• Gone for an Indian stone grey. This will start at the rear door, come in-line with where the sleeper starts and run all the way across.
    • On the right side sleeper, a path will paved next to it leading to to the step-up patio area. The patio area.
    • The area from the kitchen door, path and patio will all be Indian Stone grey
    • The square to the left of the path to the left side of the sleeper will be artificial grass.
    • Sleepers to be oiled or varnished....undecided,,,,your thoughts?
    • Fence Panels to be painted but not sure what colour - Dark Grey, Light Grey/Whitish or Dark Brown.....again not sure - your thoughts?
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.