Just removing wallpaper in an upstairs bedroom and discovered a big ho

2 months ago

Just removing wallpaper in an upstairs bedroom and discovered a big hole in an internal wall (roughly 15cmx25cm) opening into a cavity between it and the other side of the wall (the bedroom backs onto the upstairs landing). There's no similar hole on the other side. House is 1930s construction and terraced.
There's a loud whistling sound like this cavity somehow vents into the outside. And it seems like the cavity in the wall stops just to the left of the hole. Could it be something to do with the chimney? Anyone know what the hole from the bedroom might be for?
I'm planning to fill it, maybe with a piece of woodscrew to the batons around the edge and then plaster/wall filler over the top. Please do shout if this looks like some sort of crucial venting system and filling it would be a mistake!

Comments (4)

  • Sarah L
    2 months ago

    Looks like a wall vent, but they're usually on an outside wall. I'd block it up unless there's an issue with condensation in the room.

  • Jonathan
    2 months ago

    There was probably a fireplace there that was removed. The idea is a vent helps to stop damp although opinion is divided about if this actually works.

    It will feel like there is a draft as this hole is big but if you put a grill on it the airflow will be reduced to a trickle.

    Search online for fireplace vents.

  • Daisy England
    2 months ago

    Could have been what we used to call a Breeze Brick. Used relating to ventilation

  • Wumi
    2 months ago

    I would replace with a grill as Jonathan suggested. You can get a stylised metal one rather than the plastic ones.

Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.