crich123

Does the frameless shower glass installation cause the tile to break?

crich123
10 years ago
we have just installed glass tile in our shower and all the frameless glass installation bids we are getting are warning us that drilling into the glass tile will crack it.
Master Bathroom · More Info

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Paula Ables Interiors
    10 years ago
    crich123:

It is possible that drilling into the tile will break it. If you go with a well known glass company, I think your chances of it breaking are a little lower. Talk to each company and see if they have experience with the tiles you used. If you have any extras, let them practice on the extra tile before hitting your walls. Best of luck to you!
    crich123 thanked Paula Ables Interiors
  • James Taube
    9 years ago
    by the date I guess your done. just for anyone else that may read this. you want to drill through tiles for the glass support. it's a stronger fix. tiles shouldn't brake if you use a good masonry drill bit.
  • James Taube
    9 years ago
    just noticed you've said glass tile. a super sharp glass cutting tool made specifically for glass will do the job.
  • PRO
    Othon Art Works
    9 years ago
    Your glass installers are correct. Drilling into glass can crack the tile but it is also the pressure and weight of the glass that can crack the hole once its drilled. With glass tile becoming more popular ( we did 2 this week and 1 had tile breakage ) we find some of the tile not annelid from the manufacture properly making it brittle or the tile setter not having solid support behind the tile. The best plan we have come up with is to replace or have a layout in advance with complementary tile ( not glass ) in structurally stressful areas.
  • PRO
    VanGo Shower Glass
    9 years ago
    Yes, glass tile has a higher chance of breaking over porcelain. A good drill bit and an experienced Journeyman should help, but it does happen. To minimize it, make sure the tiles are well-adhered to the wall. If multiple tiles, especially not glass, start to break, it's a sign of poor tile installation.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.