webuser_434713955

Glue to bond metal tag to granite post

Neil
3 years ago

I need to stick a metal hook onto a granite post in the garden - the hook has a rectangular base to attach but it is smooth and I can't get it to stick to the post. I thought that epoxy glue would work but the metal just sleeps off.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Comments (5)

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

Have you sanded both surfaces first to form a key?

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

The epoxy stuff depends on if it's metal to metal or something else. I would have thought similar cold surfaces would work if it's a metal epoxy. I would also tape it on whilst drying.

Alternatively you could try the no more nails hardcore stuff - some of it you can hang things off but depends on what weight you are putting on the hook?

• Neil
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Yes I was going to try and no more nails stuff but thought the epoxy would be better. The metal surface is stainless steel.

• Tani H-S
    3 years ago

You would think (would hope!) epoxy would be better so shame it didn't work.

The other thing to consider is using something called sikaflex. It's used a lot in campervan conversions and we used on to fix a metal awning rail to the side of the van with this stuff. Google it and check which one will work with your materials. Its for outside use as well.

• Sonia
    3 years ago

As Tani says, tape the hook onto the surface after gluing, then I would leave for 24 hours to completely dry. 🙏🙏🙏

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.