webuser_467154008

Borrowed light / Transom - restore or remove?

Annie
3 years ago

Hello hivemind,
I have moved into a flat with borrowed light panels over both bedroom doors. The glass has been removed and replaced with thin MDF so the framing around it is still visible so it looks quite messy.
I'd like to know pros and cons (including estimated costs) of restoring the glass panels or removing all trace of them by removing the frame and plastering over.
Thank you!

Comments (4)

• keiblem
    3 years ago

I favour replacing the lights. It would be a lovely feature. If the original frame and beading is still in situ and you can remove it intact and replace with glass yourself then it is just a matter of the cost of the glass. If you get someone in to do it then you of course have the cost of labour. A simple phone call to a local glazier who offers a fitting service would answer your question. Just remember to measure up before you call. The glazier will also advise on building regulations for glass in this location.

• hedgehog99
    3 years ago

Yes I agree with keiblem. We did this in our last house - it had that horrible safety glass with a grid of wires in it, and we had it all replaced with clear glass, over 3 bedroom doors. Many years ago and I can't now remember what kind of glass or how much it cost, but we were working to quite a tight budget and so it can't have been very much. Agree that a local glazier will be able to advise you.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Pro: it will look lovely and let natural light into the hallway

Con: if you like a very dark bedroom and every glimmer of light awakes you, turning the light on in the hallway might disturb your sleep

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I have a glass panel above my bedroom door but if I was in bed asleep then when someone turned the light on on the landing to visit the bathroom it would shine brightly into the bedroom. Drove me nuts and I ended up painting over the glass to block out the light.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.