1sandyh

Mixing brassware

1sandyh
3 years ago

Is it ever okay to have chrome taps & shower, but brushed brass/gold flush plate, towel rad & trims etc?

I love the brushed brass/gold coloured taps - but the showers are so expensive, and I’m worried it could be gold overload & date quicker.

But I still want to inject some gold wow.

The tiles will be Calacatta marble style. Modern square fixings.
I love black & gold!

Tia

Comments (7)

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

Hi Sandy,

(I’m posting from my phone so hopefully the paragraphs post and it’s not a long jumbled message!)

I don’t think there’s a specific rule but I think some designers like to mix metals. I personally like the contrast of black & gold/brass and will probably be doing that.

I found this article when I was looking for some images that you may find helpful. There’s a few comments of people’s opinions too!

https://centsationalstyle.com/2018/04/mixing-metal-finishes-in-the-bathroom/

• PRO
    Hannah Hopkins Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Sandy,

When it comes to mixing metals you have to be careful, some work really well together (such as black and brushed brass) and with others such as chrome and brushed brass you have got to plan how you do it and make it look intentional rather than just a complete mixture. I would go with the brushed brass (avoid gold this will just go green over time) for your taps, overflow and maybe your shower if you can stretch to this? If not then look for a black one as they are some really well priced black showers out there (check out Aqualla). You can then also go for black on the frames for the shower enclosure and mirrors and towel radiators, as again black has been around for a couple of years now. there are some reasonably priced items out there. Tile trims you could try and look for trims a similar colour to the tiles or go black or brushed brass if you are going for those colours.

You could go for a chrome shower and enclosure if you absolutely have to but I would try and avoid this if you can as the black and brushed brass will be a lot more striking and I would not worry about it dating, I think it is a classic look you are trying to achieve so just go for it!

Hope this helps:)

Hannah

• 1sandyh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I agree, the black & brushed brass complement one another & looks lovely for that look.

But I personally don’t like the matt black for what I’m trying to achieve. I find it quite industrial looking.

The polished gun metal & polished black is lovely - but again ££££

I have 3 shower rooms to do so i really can’t stretch to all brass. A brass shower head alone is £1000!

What do you think about all chrome fixtures - but introduce some brushed brass or gold perhaps just the vanity handles, mirror & lighting?

Thanks

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

Hi,

I wrote a reply the other day but looks like it didn't post. In summary, I suggested the same as Hannah to maybe 'splash' out on your bathroom.

If you do want to for brass accents in the mirrors or lighting, I think it could work with light wall tiles, here are some examples taken from this blog post.

Have you looked at Victorian Plumbing for showers etc? They have been the most affordable option (though still not cheap!) It's the Arrezzo Range Here. Shower sets around £400-£500.

• 1sandyh
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you yes - but I didn’t recognise the Arezzo brand so wasn’t sure whether to splurge

• Nicola M
    3 years ago

My mom has the black versions in her bathrooms and the quality seems pretty good, we're going to get the brass for our ensuite :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.