anthony_liversidge43

Resin Bound - Dull/White streaks

Anthony Liversidge
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Good morning,

I have a problem with my resin bound driveway and patio whereby its showing different shades as its been laid. The main driveway has a ripple look to it although it is flat and the rear patio also has large patches of a lighter shade.

Bit of background and more detail:

It was laid in May this year in warm dry weather

It looked perfect up until recently when the shaded patterns starting to emerge

I checked out several other driveways the company had done which looked perfect. Also good feedback from the residents.

The proper subbase of hardcore and tarmac was used as I watched gracefully from my office window

The streaks in the driveway match exactly with how it was laid - 1 wheel barrow of mix per streak.

The company who laid it came back two weeks ago to inspect. They agreed they could see the streaks but was the first time they encountered this problem. Their conclusion was that those faded strips had more fine stone that the other sections. So they propose brushing some more of this stone all over into the gaps and then laying a thin layer of clear resin over the top. This makes me nervous!

From my inspection, it seems that the resin on the gravel where it is less vibrant is actually dull/cloudy whereas on the nice parts its clear and almost shiny like it should be. I have read that mixing the resin with the stone for different amounts of time or not mixing first to get rid of dust could cause this. But as the pattern repeats uniformly it is just confusing me.

Any advice would be grateful. I was so nervous when it was being done, relieved when it looked great and now almost regretting not just going for reliable block paving!

Some photos showing the streaks below.

Comment

Ireland
    Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.