mrs_dusty

Renovation novice

Mazzer D
3 years ago

My husband and I have just brought a 1930’s semi which needs updating. We’re planning to learn as we go along with smaller jobs, watching YouTube videos etc, to try and do some works ourselves to help with costs.

The main jobs we can’t do ourselves include:

- small 1.7m extension along back has flat roof which has previously leaked. We want to replace for pitched roof with sky lights

- moving loft stairs from bedroom to the landing (not sure if this will mean utilising some of smallest bedroom or having a dormer)

- New windows and doors (these are double glazed but not upto current standards, lacking vents)

- Making the kitchen/diner one bigger room. (I really want to keep a utility and downstairs toilet, for many reasons so any advice on best layout would be appreciated)

We have a small savings pot of £13k. Once this is gone, work will be saved for/done month by month.

As there is nothing immediately urgent (everything is functional 🤞🏼) where would we be best to start and use the savings? I’ve heard you should start from the top down, but equally I imagine the kitchen diner to be a pretty pricey job and also will be heart of the home, so would that be more sensible?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Floor plan attached.

Comments (4)

• Richard L
    3 years ago

IMHO Live in it for a bit...

(finding good contractors will probably take 6 months anyway - so plenty of time to plan & play with options)

Kitchen/Bathroom will tend to prioritise itself depending how much they irk you in that period.

Windows/Doors tend to be driven as much by necessity, and what it feels like in the first winter! i.e. practicalities of drafts etc.

Moving the stairs sounds like a first job - lots of upheaval and likely to undo any other internal works?

Mazzer D thanked Richard L
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

it's great you've got a list of jobs. now it's about working out which ones damage which rooms so you can group jobs together and ensure you won't finish a room and then need to run pipes or wires through it later on!
    I'd probably prioritise the leaking roof which may lead to a new kitchen as they sound like they'll link together. However, it is more fun to do the less expensive bits first and get more of the house up to scratch before saving up for bathroom and kitchen.

good luck
    Emily x

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

Also, I'd look at moving the kitchen into the dining room as it's a stunning room! if the flat roof (which I'm assuming is over the utility) is going to have a skylight, make this a sun room/ snug and move the utility into the kitchen where it's darker and not using the garden views.

Modern windows need vents because the houses have higher air tightness, however, this might not be the case for you so don't change them just for the sake of it!

If you want any more help, feel free to get in touch

Mazzer D thanked The Kitchen Lady UK
  • Claire King
    3 years ago

I would also suggest living on it for a bit and having a good think about how the way you use the house may change over the years. My husband and I bought a 1930s semi 8 years ago. We did a lot to it but now have a 4 year old and we are planning a kitchen extension with doors onto the garden as I can't see much of the garden from the kitchen. This means replacing an 8 yr old kitchen and digging up 6yr old resin pathways which we've already paid for. But then again the kitchen that was in when we bought the house was awful and we couldn't afford the extension back then even if we'd realised we would want one in the future.

Mazzer D thanked Claire King
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.