jonhub

George Clarke's Amazing Spaces Inspiration - garage conversion

jonhub
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

After Binge watching all episodes last year I finally chose to convert our garage from an unused space & storage facility to a functioning business room , party / games room & bar.

All work was done by myself except the electrics & windows. These were the biggest expense.

It just needed planning up front with some time and effort.

Comments (17)

• E D
    3 years ago

The building looks great.

Well done for doing so much of the work yourself.

What sort of planning permission did you need?

• jonhub
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you,
    building already existed and it is below 2.5m in height so no planning required.

• E D
    3 years ago

Ah I see. I thought you were referring to it when you said ‘planning’. But that was just yours. 🙂

• Helena Winkle
    3 years ago

Looks great! Can you tell me what you used/how you painted the brick walls please? I’m looking to do the same in my garage but keep reading lots of different things about painting brickwork online.

• Patrina
    3 years ago

Looks Fab 😁

• jonhub
    Original Author
    3 years ago

hi Helena , all brickwork was washed with water and brush. Once dry I applied an exterior stabilising primer which seals absorbent and powdery surfaces. Then I applied Sandtex exterior masonry paint , 2 coats. The interior was primed then ordinary white emulsion. It's been over a year in all weathers and no issues. fingers crossed.

• Helena Winkle
    3 years ago

Thank you jonhub, that’s really helpful 👍

• Sandy Beech
    3 years ago

Looks great. How’s it heated and insulated?

• jonhub
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks sandybeech38.
    The ceiling has 200mm loft roll insulation between roof and plasterboard. The partition MDF walls has thermo foil wrap sandwiched. This leaves one wall with a single layer brick which isn't ideal.
    Its stays cool in the summer but I use an electric radiator or hot air fan in the winter.

• Wayne Bryan - Designer
    3 years ago

Nice.

I have done something similar but no insulation, I was wondering if it was worth insulating the roof if I didn't change the single skin walls in any way. But as you say, it keeps it cooler in summer.

• jonhub
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Wayne.
    I think it was worth insulating the roof. Plus there was space for it so not a lot of extra work was required.

• HU-358206268
    last year

hi, did you need to get any building control sign off on this. been considering similar myself and finding it hard to figure out if this is required (or more accurately how to best describe the project so it does not require building control)

• Helen Kowalska
    last year

Amazing job!

• jonhub
    Original Author
    last year

Copied from another site regarding planning for outbuilding in UK

If you want to construct your garden room under permitted development, you’ll need to make sure it meets the following rules, wherever you live in the UK:Your garden room or log cabin isn't in front of your home. If you have extended it then the front refers to how it stood on 1 July 1948.The total area of all extensions, sheds and outbuildings - including your proposed garden room -  must not cover more than 50% of the total area of land around your house. Again this is the area as it was on 1 July 1948. It is single storey and less than 3 metres high (4 metres with a dual-pitched roof). If it’s within 2 metres of your boundary, the maximum height is 2.5 metres.The eaves are no more than 2.5 metres above ground level.It doesn't have a balcony, veranda or raised platform.It isn’t self-contained living accommodation.

• Kasper Polinski
    last year

Looks very good!

• Carol Lowe
    last year

Stylish

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.