jessicarconway

Cedar shingle panels or individual shingles?

jessicarconway
3 years ago

Hi Nick, I’ve enjoyed reading through all of your discussion questions and answers. We are designing our home and planning to use western red cedar shingles. Our contractor is suggesting that we use shingle panels, for easier installation, less cost. What did you use on this home? And do you have an opinion on the aesthetics?

Sea Ranch Residence · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Nick Noyes Architecture
    3 years ago

These were individual shingles - the panels can be fine - certainly easier on the budget - they look pretty good.

• jessicarconway
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• jessicarconway
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I read that you left the shingles untreated. Does that mean they’re not sealed or stained at all, ever? Do they just clean them once a year, as needed? How do they prevent rot?

• jessicarconway
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve done more reading, and in our location I think it is safe to go with untreated. Did you apply a UV protectant or any kind of sealer?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.