jennifer_stewart66

restore or refresh bedside cabinet?

Jennifer Stewart
3 years ago

Hi there, new user here so bear with me. This unit was in my bedroom as a child, followed me into student life and has been with me ever since but definitely needs some TLC... I'd guess its a least 40 years old but prob more. The original handle is shown in my hand with a replacement but the top is little worn. Should I sand it down and restain as is, or do something completely different with it? Welcome any suggestions! I'm not entirely clear if solid wood or chipboard underneath and if that would limit my options?

sand down and restain
complete change

Comments (2)

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I think it depends on the decor in your room. I do rather like original mid century furniture kept natural looking. It may be teak which was very popular in the 1960s. It goes particularly well with a boho/eclectic look. The large door knob doesn’t look the right style so I’m not sure its original? But then I found the image below, so what do I know! 😂

• Jules Mc
    3 years ago

A bit of both? I always like this type of furniture when it's had a paint job to update it but some wood left as a bit of a nod to the past.

Seller refurbished mcm pieces go for a fortune on ebay (well they list at at high prices, not sure if they get them?)
    Some ideas below. Would love to see what you end up doing. Good luck.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.