frankie_hayes67

Shower tray waste - which end?

Frankie Hayes
3 years ago

I'm having my shower tray fitted tomorrow 900x1400 in a recess enclosure. The stainless steel waste is 300mm from the end but I don't want to be able to feel it under my feet - I would rather it was at the other end where you walk -in - Is there any reason this is a bad idea? - The floor joists are going in the right direction. Thank you

Comments (6)

• minipie
    3 years ago

What kind of shower head are you having? Rainfall where the water comes straight down or smaller where the water comes out at an angle? If it’s the latter then you’ll stand more than 30cm from the end.

as regards your question, you will need to ask your fitters whether they can move the plumbing to work with a drain at the other end. My guess is the plumbing is all in place for the drain at the shower end not the walk in end and may be tricky to move it now, but it may be possible.

Also, if the drain is put at the walk in end but does not catch all the water, it will flood out of the shower...

• Frankie Hayes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are having both types of shower head - the rain head will be about 52cm from the end which means one of my feet could be touching the waste cover. (as I don't stand with both feet close together) I am quite alarmed about the water flooding off the tray - do you know this for sure?- then we would have to get a proper hinged door instead of walk-in.

• minipie
    3 years ago

The way these trays work is they slope down (slightly) towards the drain. So all the water flows towards the drain. If your drain is placed close to the wall (as is usual) then if the drain doesn’t quite catch all the water, it doesn’t matter, as the excess water will bounce off the wall and head back towards the drain. If your drain is at the open end, the water will be flowing towards the open end (as the slope will go that way) and there is nothing to stop any excess water that the drain doesn’t catch flowing out. You are relying on the drain to catch it all.

We have a walk in shower and there is no flooding, But we have the drain at the wall end not the open end. I have never seen one with the drain at the open end and I imagine this is because of the flooding risk,

• minipie
    3 years ago

But no, I don’t know for sure. I would just be nervous personally about having a set up which is designed to make the water flow towards the open end, even with a drain there.

• Frankie Hayes
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you - it's been fitted now - the plumber reassured me that the water would not flow beyond the waste grid as the flow is up to 20 litres per minute and the waste takes about 40-50 litres per minute. We have a wall at the other end as well - The entrance will be at the end of the long side with the flpper panel. Fingers crossed!

• minipie
    3 years ago

Ah if you have a wall at both ends and the entrance on the side, that‘s less of a risk as the water would have to go round a corner

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.