kim_glover9740897

Roof Lantern -pros and cons

Kim Glover
3 years ago

Have had plans back for our new kitchen/utility extension. The kitchen is 4x4m and it needs to be a flat roof. I have seen roof lanterns to let in light as it wont get sun until late afternoon. Cons that people keep reminding me of is rain noise and heat loss. I just can’t see past how beautiful they look! The lantern would be 2x2m or a little bigger 2x3m.

Can anyone give me any advice! It would be much appreciated. If anyone has pics too that would be great.

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Ellen Utley Interiors
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Good morning Kim,

Heat collecting in the highest point with opening windows can be useful during summer to cool the house down.

The sound of rain is quite calming and comforting for some, making you feel nice and protected whilst in touch with the outdoors.

One factor to consider is UV rays. Glass even with UV ray protection only cuts out some of the rays. Therefore any white surfaces can turn yellow and timber can fade.

The main benefit is the light and airy feel that you can achieve. Alternatively can also be achieved utilising sun pipes to reduce the loss of heat and the noise.

If you decide on a roof lantern, my advice is to go with frosted glass. This disperses the light more for a brighter and airier feel, does not show dirt as easily and does not create squares of light on surfaces. The frosted glass will make any UV effects gradual and more unnoticeable. I would also avoid white finishes on items which cannot be re-painted once the colour has turned.

Timber skylights are most sustainable as well as some metals.

Many thanks for sharing,

Ellen Utley

Interior Designer

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.