gail_valentine52

What colour front door with Rosewood windows?

Gail Valentine
3 years ago

Hello, we bought this house late last year and I've never liked the windows or front door. I've been researching the option of painting the front door but I don't know what colour! I think I'll use the Rust-Oleum universal colours https://makeityours.co.uk/product/universal-all-surface-brush-applied-paint/ as they seem to be the simplest to use and I can't justify the cost of a new door just now (when we have lots of other things to complete first). Ultimately I would like to replace all windows and doors but we have a large conservatory on the back, so it's not currently affordable. I got some advice previously from here about our downstairs WC and it saved me making a mistake! What do you think? All advice welcome :)

Comments (26)

• Toria J
    3 years ago

There was another post on here recently by someone with brown windows - they had them all painted instead of changing them.

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, I did think about painting the windows but I’d need to get a professional in, as I’m not a big fan of heights! I’m a bit concerned about the cost to do this as the house is now 20 years old and we may need to replace the windows in the not too distant future. This picture is from the schedule/brochure when we bought the house and I’m just not sure what colour would work with the facade and windows. Thanks

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I think most colours would go with the buff coloured walls, so just pick a favourite colour and go with that. My door is F&B Cooks Blue. Here’s some ideas

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, I’m going to get some samples 👍

• Mark R
    3 years ago

My priority would be the windows. Rosewood windows are horrid. You could replace them in stages rather than going for the whole lot. Do the front first and you can do the rear at a later date. You could go for grey, which is fashionable, or choose a more subtle colour like sage. Also, get that render repainted.

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Mark, it would be great if budget wasn’t a concern but unfortunately it is! I didn’t actually notice that the render needed painting until seeing the picture. It’s on the list!

• Sarah
    3 years ago

I like the windows and wonder if repainting the render would actually be the key thing to improving to overall look. Then you can replace the windows further down the line when budget allows. It's a lovely attractive and smart home, and fresh paint will make a huge difference. Let us know what you decide:-)

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sarah! I’m thinking about getting the render painted...now just to choose the colour.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

I’m not normally a fan of rosewood windows however I think they suit your house so would leave them until they need replacing. Funnily enough I nearly painted my windows a purple brown as it was typical of the early Victorian period but bottled it!

I tried painting the render using an app but it failed miserably so tried cutting and pasting which wasn’t much better but anyway gives you an very rough idea! Could you also add planting to the left of the door

• peggysue67
    3 years ago

I think the door needs a strong colour to brighten it. I would probably go blue or red.

• audreymorris7318
    3 years ago

I really like the red door think it suits. I had brown rosewood windows, I painted them black, they look great . hopefully now get many more years of use from them

• Samantha Judge
    3 years ago

The Rustoleum All Surface Paint shade ‘Lagoon’ looks nice. You could also put a nice shrub in a pot or longer, bigger planters under the windows. Good luck in your new home!!!

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, initially I was thinking Lagoon or Thyme for the front door but I do also really like the red. I took a walk around the area yesterday and it's about a 50:50 split between brown or white windows...the same with doors but I think it does need to be a bit brighter. I quite like dark windows on the house especially next to the bright door and it definitely needs some planters! Thanks everyone :)

• turquoisetree53
    3 years ago

Go Green! The main thing the house needs is some planting around it, that will soften the lines, and enhance its brickwork, which is an attractive feature.

• Tracy
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi if your on Facebook join the Frenchic forum, there are LOADS for photos people have posted having painted their own UPVC doors and windows frames and the results are amazing, plenty of inspiration and the paint is beautiful to work with and very cost effective too.

ive not used it on my doors can but I have on my walls, woodwork and plastic pots etc.. and the quality is really good with a little going a long way, check out the al fresco range as that’s for outdoor use The Wise Old Sage would look lovely

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, I love The Wise Old Sage....my husband likes dark grey but I'm tempted by the green. This is the back of our house....we have no intention of ever moving (or at least for a very long time) as there is just the three of us (husband + dog) but my husband thinks we should stick with similar colours to the neighbours. All of the houses in our street have either rosewood or white windows. He thought the dark grey was a compromise as it wouldn't stand out too much, standing out bothers me less and I've always loved the Chartwell Green look. Do you think green doors with white windows would look OK? We could also look at painting the conservatory green...alternatively we could paint all windows/doors dark grey (including the conservatory). Or leave windows brown but paint doors/conservatory with The Wise Old Sage green or dark grey! Thanks everyone, so many decisions!

• Tracy
    3 years ago

I’ve noticed where I live, if you change something others also begin to make changes - going green might be the start of a colourful street ;)

download an App called eurocell (they have a website eurocell.co.uk) the app allows you to upload photos of your home and play around with different colours/styles of windows/doors - all you do is choose style and adjust size to fit - it’s really good!

Your windows look fine tbh, but I also think white would freshing the appearance of your house. Maybe start with the conservatory first, if your painting them, that alone will change the appearance 💯

You said you don’t do heights - by painting the downstairs yourselves would cut the costs of a painter and save you money, I’ve just been using Dazzle Me Frenchic on my skirtings, walls and internal door and it really is bright white, beautiful and I need to buy more but be aware of the differences between the whites.

• Tracy
    3 years ago

Or rockdoor.com if you can’t download the app - I’ve just been searching my photos as I knew I couldn’t download the app on my phone and had to find an alternative as our iPad smashed

Gail Valentine thanked Tracy
  • Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Tracy, I noticed that the Eurocell App was iPad only. I just dusted out my iPad and it's charging now. I think that will really help us to visualise how the house could look. I can't wait to have a play around with different looks! Thanks :)

• D Morley
    3 years ago

Dear Gail as far as I can tell from your photo the existing rosewood looks very attractive, indeed it is probably the most attractive rosewood house I have ever seen. In my opinion It is planting that will make the biggest difference, even, as people have already proposed, just adding some planters - however take your time in choosing the right planters/shrubs and plants. Lechuza (www.lechuza.co.uk/) do self watering/sub irrigation planters - nothing worse to bring down the even most attractive house than dried out uncared for planters/garden. Mona Pantsava (available amongst others at www.waterirrigation.co.uk - purchased my water timers here and received great customer care with one faulty timer after a year from purchase) do a range of sub irrigation tanks for standard planters and pots that are not so expensive as lechuza and open up wider choice but you will have to put extra effort in to make your own up (www.albopepper.com explains concept of sub irrigation very well) and give thought to weather resistance. Or look at sprinkler/drip feed watering system. I definitely think improving the planting will make the biggest difference. I hope it all comes together for you.

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

“...indeed it is probably the most attractive rosewood house I have ever seen.” 🤔

Reeks of spam...

• Melissa Leather-Smith
    last year
    last modified: last year

I found this thread as I'm in the same situation as you. What did you decide to do in the end?

• audreymorris7318
    last year

i used zinsser all purpose exterior use matt

The windowws used to be brown

• Gail Valentine
    Original Author
    last year

Hello, I painted my door (I'll see if I can get a photo) in Thyme but now thinking of a change. It's lasted really well. I had my house soft washed to clean up the render but the windows are still brown. I'd love to have had them painted but some of our window frame (the cross bit) is on the inside of the double glazing so inaccessible. We're planning to replace them in a few years time when we can afford to change the conservatory to a full extension. Not sure whether to go white or black.

• j_thompson300
    last year

Re Audrey Morris. What a good looking house! Which paint and colour did you use on roof eves wood work and the type of cladding. Sorry to intrude in post. I have rosewood windows and I am thinking of painting Matt black. Thankyou

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.