sarah_evanschambers

Narrow sloping garden lockdown challenge complete.

Sarah Ch
3 years ago

We bought our new build two years ago. Before lockdown we had 5 plants in it! This was due to the soil. It was impossible to get a spade into it at all. It was all grass which
had been green through plastic mesh. We are located on the coast so wind destroy lots of young plants so plant choice needed lots of research.

We decided to tier the slope to save cost. We imported around 9 tons of top soil and 50 bags of well rotted manure. We used sleepers to make raised beds around the perimeter and dry stone walking dug into slope.

For the patio we made a wave effect to try and make the garden feel wider. We over sowed white clover to deal with the grass. It had loads of leather jackets which were and still are eating the grass.

Comments (12)

• Sarah Ch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are a few more.

• Sarah Ch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m waiting for this to arrive to go behind this singular reflective spot ;-)

• pmasmith3
    3 years ago

Great transformation, revealing the lovely old stone wall has given character to the whole garden.

It looks pretty established already - the lockdown weather has been great for our gardens. I love the screenwithenvy too!

• Sarah Ch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!!

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks great! Love the zones and your planting style including the pots too.

Well done.

Can‘t quite make sense of the ‘before’ pic.

Why was the area fenced off?

• Sarah Ch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes it was crazy!!! one fence blocking wall and one fence at op of slope for no reason!!!

• Sonia
    3 years ago

How fabulous! Lovely layout and I love that the wood has been left mostly natural, which blends beautifully with the landscape. So many elements that I love especially those metal screens.

• Sarah Ch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks x

• frandixon
    3 years ago

I love the glass panels where are they from or did you make them?

• Heidi Maurice
    3 years ago

The wood & glass sculptures are beautiful - did you make them Sarah? Or where are they from? I’d like some too!

• Pat Auld
    3 years ago

What a transformation. You’ve worked very hard but must be very pleased with the result

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.