aidanscotland

Painting Pebbledash...

aidanscotland
3 years ago

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice in regards to painting the external walls of my house which are pebbledashed - I just want to give it a cleaner more modern feel by using a white paint (likely Dulux Weathershield Masonry Paint)...

I've tried to look at before and after examples and tips but can't seem to find much.

I guess my first question really is, can it be done... somebody told me in the past that you have to have a certain type of pebbledash and I am unsure what the right and wrong types are - I have attached some photographs below of what mine looks like at present

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Aidan.

Comments (19)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

We've pebbledash on our bungalow. First didn't like it, considered painting but after reading up on it decided to embrace the pebbledash and even our new kitchen we added a few months ago we got a pebbledashed finish! If I touch my original pebbledash some pebbles come off so the thought of it painted then stones falling off randomly doesn't appeal

aidanscotland thanked Ellie
  • aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can totally see where you are coming from, rather soul destroying painting it only to have small patches of the old colour appear following a windy day...

I have really really tried to embrace it, but I just can’t... it’s been three years of thinking about doing it now and I always come back to ’i want to and it will look better’ so I think it’s about time that I just got on and did it... if I can that is.

Whats more is my house is quite large and so there is a lot of it which makes it worse...

• aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also. If I am indeed able to paint this particular type of pebbledash what are people’s thoughts on painting just the bottom half of the house, upto the top of the lower level windows...

• aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi arc3d,

That looks absolutely amazing - so fresh, modern and clean...

It is our intention to paint the windows at some point too; ideally we want them replaced as they are wood and would prefer UPVC in grey, as yours are (they look amazing!)... but there are a lot of them and so that is out of the question at the moment unfortunately.

I guess my main question is can the type of pebbledash that I have actually be painted? It was mentioned to me once before that this particular type cannot, but I have never found anything online that says there is a particular type of pebbledash that can't be painted...

Perhaps it would be best to buy some paint and try a small section on the back of the house to see how it takes and then go from there?

Thanks again,

Aidan.

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I know you’ve indicated you’re certain you don’t want to embrace the pebbledash, but wouldn’t giving it a good clean not be the best option?

Arc3’s photo of the white house with grey windows looks great but, if I’m not mistaken, it is rendered so will always look different to pebbledash.

Also, once you painted pebbledash you will have to paint it regularly to keep it looking good.

And that is assuming yours can actually be painted.

Impressive house and grounds, btw. 👌

aidanscotland thanked E D
  • aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks E D,

The photo of the front of the house shows clean walls unfortunately, it’s the mix of pebbles they’ve used that make it look sort of dirty - the back is definitely dirty though (we recently jet washed the patio, nightmare for mess)!

Ive been looking at other houses in my village (of which I would say 90% are pebbledashed) and they are mostly all painted white... as far as repainting goes, I don’t mind repainting say every three to four years if that’s what it’s likely to be? I run a guest house and so am closed from November right through to April which allows me plenty of times to do such jobs...

I Think I will have to be brave and test a small patch behind the garage where it cannot be seen and go from there.

thank you for your post :)

• arc3d
    3 years ago

I think the success of the paint job depends on how well the pebbledash was done in the first place. If its reasonably stable then I dont see why it can't be painted. You would need to prime it first though as the cement will be porous.

There are lots of pebbledashed older houses in this area and also my wifes family home in London is a victorian terrace that's had painted pebbledash for about 30 years!

Painted pebbledash is not as smooth looking as plain render but it gives a more textured look.

Painted vs unpainted:

I was up north a few years ago and they had rows and rows of very old stone houses that had been painted. Many other examples of painted stonework too...

I agree with ED, however, it needs to painted regularly after that. My father in law used to paint every 2 years or so. And judging by the size of your house it would take team of painters. It's definitely not going to be a DIY job! Pebbledash is painted with brushes and not rollers so very time consuming, not to mention priming the whole house then going all the way round with first coat and then the second coat!

Another option would be spray painting, but again you would need the pros in and on a small house they can take about half a day just masking up the windows and doors.

The conversation reminded me of another system I've seen. It's sprayed on too. It's used on older properties to make them water proof with a latex mix. I will have to google it.

aidanscotland thanked arc3d
  • arc3d
    3 years ago

I found one company. I'm sure there are others. They say it has a 20 year warranty and is maintenance free. Might need a bit of research but might also be the ideal solution!

Coated vs uncoated:

before and after:

The website:

https://www.neverpaintagain.co.uk/wall-coatings-for-house-painting/

aidanscotland thanked arc3d
  • aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your advice folks - looking at the before and after pictures just makes me want to do it more to be honest!

Well worth noting about the primer too and thanks a lot for the link.

Appreciate all; I think I will commit to doing it - may be back in panic to ask for more advice!!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

If you can paint it then I definitely would as I think it would improve it no end. I had a pebbledash house which had previously been painted and I set about doing it myself. After I day I phoned a painter who arrived with thick shaggy rollers and did it much quicker. I wouldn't paint it pure white, I would paint it an off white such as Pointing by Farrow and Ball. It may be possible to get this mixed, you would have to check. I would paint the windows a lightly darker off white such as 'Shaded White', which would make them stand out ever so slightly.

aidanscotland thanked Juliet Docherty
  • aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks colourhappy, it’s nice to hear from someone again that has done the same thing...

It’s now a case of waiting until we are allowed to go to our local B and Q (local, unfortunately being 60 miles away). I will take a look at Farrow and Ball too, thanks for the suggestion. We do use a lot of the F&B colours inside our house as we love them so much, just not so keen on the price!!

Thanks again. :)

• aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi again all,

I just wondered if anyone knows of a decorating goods supplier still able to deliver to the Scottish Highlands? Our nearest B and Q is 60 miles away and whilst it is open we are not allowed to travel that far at present (as we are still adopting the Stay at Home policy), despite it being our 'local' DIY superstore and are struggling to find an online retailer still delivering to our area in order to buy the required tools and paint...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Aidan.

• E D
    3 years ago

Perhaps try Amazon or EBay?

aidanscotland thanked E D
  • aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

For anyone that would like to see - I know it’s not much to look at right now, but this is only about 45 minutes of work and I can picture how it will look (window frames and lintels to be painted grey)...

It‘s going to take a very long time, but it will be worth it - thanks for all advice!

• aidanscotland
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Sonia
    3 years ago

I bought my Farrow & Ball paint direct from them online as I couldn’t find my chosen colour locally. Hopefully they will deliver to the Highlands if you choose one of their colours? 🤔

• Toria J
    3 years ago

Toolstation or Screwfix, though you are limited to their limited range/availability. B&M have paint too, if you have one closer than 60 miles.

(I live rurally, without a car, and it is an interesting challenge.)

• A H
    last month

Did you do it? There is a fabulous apint supplier in Scotland now called Tikkurela - Hope you went White/Grey in the end.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.