dillnbee_adopt

Updating garage door on mid-1970s raised ranch/split foyer

Dillnbee
4 years ago

It's time for new steel, roll-up garage doors. We tried to add new garage openers, but they won't install on swing doors anymore, so we're stuck upgrading the garage doors too. We're struggling to pick an economical door that doesn't look like the 1980s that we grew up in. We're leaning towards flush panel b/c it's the closest to the modern era design, but worry about dings, etc. Then the question becomes whether to go with white, try to paint to match the exterior (SW Svelte Sage of an unknown age), or find a complentary color. Would love input on style and color! TIA!

Please note, our current financial goals are to take care of deferred maintenance, not a total remodel of the outside. Grateful to have a roof over our heads that doesn't leak!

Original:

white flush (with actual house color on a gray day, not real estate

Color matched flush panels

More interesting but maybe doesn't coordinate style-wise?

Comments (6)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think the flat panel looks better with the panels under the windows above it. Match to house color. These opaque glass ones would look great to if you can afford them.

Mid Century Modern Lake House · More Info

• Dillnbee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@decoenthusiaste Yes those frosted glass panels are gorgeous, but out of our price range!

• Dillnbee
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@CLARICE SMYTH DESIGN Those offset glass panels have been on my mind as well, but most examples are on one wide door, rather than 2 8'x7' doors. Would it be weird to add windows to one door only to replicate the wide door look?

• suezbell
    4 years ago

I really like these but don't know for certain they'll have them with an automatic door opener. Wood doors would resolve the paint color issue.

https://oasisgaragedoors.com/

One thing you might consider as you decide which door you want: since you have a have a cantilevered upstairs, you could build framing for a new pair of doors IN FRONT of the existing doors and still be beneath the cantilevered area. That could save any "ripping out" costs before the "building/installing" costs.

• PRO
    CLARICE SMYTH DESIGN
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You can either have the opening restructure to accommodate one garage door or create the illusion of one door. If you go with two garage doors, I would get a skilled craftsman/carpenter or company that are willing to work with you. Choose doors that you can either get additional panel material or match easily. Install one of your garage doors, either you prefer, (I would probably choose the right to visually balance the look) with the window panels on the outside edge. Install the second garage door plain/without the glass. Incorporate the center support by, matching the garage door material, cladding the space between the doors for a seamless visual connection. Currently your garage doors are trimmed in contrasting white. If you add additional trim on outside edges make to look like one door. You might compare the cost of modifying and using one garage door to using two garage doors and incorporating the center support in order to make the best decision for you.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.