mally_ord

Double glazing trickle vents

mally
4 years ago

I'm looking to replace some 30 year old wooden Si glazed glazed windows in my home with modern double glazing.

Should I have trickle vents Installed. The double glazing salesman has not mentioned them but a friend advised to consider adding;

Pro's - reduce risk of condensation / damp
Cons - noise / draught

What's your thoughts. The house is 30 years old, appears to be well insulated, keeps warm even with single glazed.

Yes
No

Comments (6)

• Tani H-S
    4 years ago

I wasn’t sure which way to vote with this because I hate my trickle vent in the bedroom - BUT only when it’s really windy as it howls through it! So the noise aspect sucks (although I think we could perhaps seal over it when it’s really bad weather so it’s less noisy?!?)

I voted yes though because it’s a brilliant way of getting fresh air into the house without leaving the window open and we use them all the time. A must to stop damp and condensation. If you don’t suffer with it though and are happy to regularly leave windows open then you might not need them.

• minipie
    4 years ago

I voted no, the main reason for double glazing for us was to improve sound and thermal insulation so why make a hole in the window that‘s going to allow noise in and heat in and out? We leave bathroom windows a crack open (locks to prevent further opening) which deals with ventilation.

If the house is already warm and well insulated then why are you considering double glazing? Personally I would keep your wooden windows rather than PVC. (though maybe you are looking at wooden double glazing in which case ignore me!)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I don’t get why they are available..... surely the idea is to get rid of drafts not to put a hole just above your lovely new double glazed energy efficient windows

• Karen W
    4 years ago

I also dont get it. you buy lovely sealed insulated quiet windows, and put a ho,e in that ruins all that. all windows nowadays can be locked slightly open if you need fresh air

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

I refused them when we had ours done (timber double glazing). They don't look nice and can't be matched colour wise with some colours. I think it's one of those box ticking things.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.