nick_loutit

Can you tint/change colour of exposed aggregate concrete

Nick L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

I have recently changed the exterior colour of my house and have noticed the yellow/limestone undertone to our exposed aggregate appears more yellow than ever.

Does anyone know or has anyone tried to change the colour/tint of their exposed aggregate concrete?

Appreciate any suggestions or advice?

Thanks

Nick

Comments (10)

• dreamer
    4 years ago

Exposed aggregate concrete may be able to be painted with the special concrete paints available. I have never done this, but since it is concrete it may be possible. However, the exposed concrete usually has lots of coloured stones. So your paint colour needs to be dark enough to cover all the colours. Also, it will be a time consuming job to get into all the surfaces of the concrete.

• Kate
    4 years ago

You could coat it with pebblecrete

• rachelen
    4 years ago

A high pressure hose might clean off the dirt and make it grey again. Worked for our front path.

• julie herbert
    4 years ago

Agree with dreamer, wait until you have finished your landscaping, adding planters and lush foliage, your photo looks beautiful, it could just be a lovely contrast

• dafmaria
    4 years ago

I’d say no way to painting it, then it will wear away, then you have to paint every so many years.
    The plants will distract, a bit of greenery does wonders.
    I think we get a bit hooked on everything looking super immaculate, and all matchy. Your home looks fabulous.

• Nick L
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice everyone, I definitely agree that some greenery on the porch would make a huge difference. Appreciate everyone taking the time to comment.

• PRO
    Mars Landscapes
    4 years ago

It is possible to add a 'tint' to the sealer on the exposed aggregate. Even if you have already sealed it with clear, you can apply another coat. If this is of interest, message me back with your location and I can guide you to the right people.

Dave - Mars Landscapes

• robinfk
    4 years ago

Yes you can use a tinted concrete sealer such as Nutech Pavecoat which penetrates into the top layer of concrete unlike concrete paint which sits on top and wears badly. But it would colour everything the same solid colour and you would loose the exposed aggregate look. So if you are not happy with that I would rely on your landscaping to detract from the colour.

• Souzette Lovell
    4 years ago

It appears that you've used a very cool grey paint, which will contrast with the warm/yellow of the concrete. Another way to deal with this would be to repaint the house with a warm grey with a yellowy tinge!!! Ha ha, I can imagine that going down well.

If you decide to professionally stain the concrete (sing a dilute solution so the aggregate is visible) you'll need a purple tinge in the stain to knock back the yellow and neutralise it, but this would take some experimenting, and you may not have that luxury. All the best

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.