anne_ticehurst64

Anyone know about stainless steel worktops and their optimum length?

A T
4 years ago

I'm creating a new kitchen in my usual arse-about-face way which means I've bought/half-fitted the units but not bought all the worktops yet. Panic is now setting in.

The kitchen starts off as a galley, with high units on one side and wall+base units on the other. After that it opens up to a wider broken-plan area with just base units + peninsular. That second area will have wooden worktops, but the first/galley area contains all the appliances and sink and I'd love to have a long stainless steel worktop running the length of one side. Then I won't have to worry about putting hot items on it, or getting it wet.

The planned length of the worktop is 3.44 metres, but I'm finding that most standard worktops are 3 metres long. So if I stick to the original plan I think I'd be looking at bespoke/expensive.

So I'm faced with:

a) changing my (already half-built) kitchen layout to lose half a metre of cabinets, and using that end space for a freestanding item

b) trying to find a reliable but less-expensive supplier of bespoke/long stainless steel worktops

c) joining two pieces of steel worktop around the hob area (I can't find any images of examples of that)

d) going for a different material that isn't horrendously expensive if longer than 3 metres. It needs to have cut-outs for sink and hob, mustn't be too precious/delicate, and ideally look industrial.

Is there anyone here who knows a bit about stainless steel worktops and can advise on whether 3.44 metres can be done at a reasonable price?

Or is it just too much of a faff? And is it really risky to buy it online without it being professionally measured and fitted?

Comments (7)

• J
    4 years ago
    I'm not sure about the costs. But my SS bench had a join and you'd never know it was there. It had been welded and then ground to look exactly like the rest of the bench. And make sure your bench is wrapped around a substrate. I thought that'd be a given when I later ordered a SS bench for my cafe. It came as a formed but thin sheet. So noisy!
    A T thanked J
  • PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

Have you consider a Concrete finish?? These days these can be fabricated using "micro" concrete which is very effective , looks great and will not break the bank.

These images are showing a concrete finish worktop:-

Kitchen in Kingston Edwardian House Refurbishment · More Info

If stainless steel "rocks your boat", then you can find plenty of commercial kitchen manufacturers that are making product for the residential world who work with 4 metre long sheets of material - for example -

https://www.stainlessdirectuk.com/kitchen-worktops/

http://www.stainlesssteel.uk.com/pages/stainless-steel-for-the-worktop-covers-sector

This company will give you a quick quote for your size - https://www.stainlesssteelworktopsuk.co.uk/product-category/standard-size-stainless-steel-worktops/

Best of luck with your project.

A T thanked Brandler London
  • A T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks. I do love concrete, and I've looked at micro concrete before for one of our bathrooms. The problem I've had in the past is that it's been difficult to get a feel for the cost in advance of someone coming to give a quote. We were very lucky that we didn't have to wait too long for someone to come and look at our bathroom, however we knew as soon as they started talking money that it was outside our budget for that room, at that time.

I've looked at a few supplier websites and there's little-to-no mention of cost. So I'll see if I can get a better idea on various forums, including Houzz.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Though 44cm is a 40cm tall cabinet plus side panels/filler. ;)

A T thanked rinked
  • A T
    Original Author
    4 years ago

In the end I went for microcement. Thanks for the advice; it all contributed to the design evolution :)

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

I am happy that we could be of help to you A T! We use micro cement a lot of our projects and our Clients love it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.