woods_girl

Need help with bathroom layout

woods_girl
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My husband and I are gutting our only downstairs full bath in preparation to sell the home this summer. Since we're gutting, I'd like to move the pieces around because the current shower is a terrible set up.

I plan to take out the bathroom closet (the other closet in the floor plan belongs to an adjacent bedroom) and am willing to replace the existing double hung wood window for a vinyl one, if I have to.

Curious how anyone would move these pieces around to make the bathroom more user friendly. Our two oldest kids use it as their bathroom and it's also the powder/guest bath so it's quite a high traffic room.

FYI: The floorplan is from some plans we had done when were considering a much larger full house renovation. Then entire room measure about 10x7. And yes, I must have a tub, it's the only one in the house.

Comments (20)

• teddytoo
    5 years ago
    Since you are selling, I would leave the current layout and add a half glass wall and a glass door and install a rainhead shower in the ceiling. Update all your all your tile on the walls and floor and new vanity and lighting. If the budget really doesn’t matter or you have the ability to cheaply move the plumbing, remove the closet and put the bath/shower in the space the toilet and closet are in and a longer vanity and toilet on the wall where the vanity and tub are now. What does your realtor suggest? When we were planning to sell, our realtor was super helpful in identifying exactly what changes we needed to make to get top dollar as well as what would be a waste of time and money. Worked great as we sold for more than asking within 2 days of listing. Can’t wait to see what you choose to do.
    woods_girl thanked teddytoo
  • woods_girl
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I too thought of moving the tub to where the toilet and closet are now. It's a narrow space, 30.5" deep and the narrowest, most cost effective tub I can find is 30" deep. Tight squeeze but I think it might actually work. I'd love to leave the tub where it is but my husband is anti rain shower head. Ha!

Our realtor initially said to just redo the floor, epoxy the wall tiles and reglaze the tub but since we're going to be general contracting this ourselves with the help of a friend who flips houses he thinks gutting it will be great. He suggested moving the tub under the window, which would be fine except it's an odd shaped window and I fear a vinyl option will be expensive, not to mention there would be a good 15" of wasted space behind the tub.

My husband likes the idea of a larger vanity, even a double, so I think we're going to be heading that way. Thanks again!

• teddytoo
    5 years ago
    I definitely wouldn’t put the tub under the window. I don’t like the idea of showering in front of a window with my lights on and the whole neighborhood getting to see the image if it is dark outside.since the tub bumps out now could you do that if you switched sides and get a wider tub or would it not leave enough space to the vanity?please post photos of the project.
    woods_girl thanked teddytoo
  • pattyl11
    5 years ago

I would use a pocket door, then you could use a longer 18" deep vanity with a wall mount faucet. On the half wall extend a frame up to the ceiling to house a glass partition so that the upper part of that frame could allow you to use a curved shower curtain rod and get rid of all that ceiling piping. I like a glass shower door but it looks like the window wouldn't allow it.

http://barclayproducts.com/product-category/rods-tub-shower/

woods_girl thanked pattyl11
  • PRO
    Anthony West
    5 years ago

Unless its a higher rectangular window or the house has no other options...I'd rather avoid tub/window combos all together (just my opinion). That said, the space is really workable especially if you are able to switch the tub/shower around with the toilet/former closet area. Would seem to lend to a bit more privacy when walking in and allow for a larger vanity. Also, maybe consider frosting the new window if the view is intrusive? Would still get all the benefits of natural light but more privacy as well.

woods_girl thanked Anthony West
  • deb s
    5 years ago

You have space for a barn door vs swing door which would make the bathroom seem much larger - even if your house is traditional a six panel door can be used for a barn door.

the more you move the more $$$$ it costs

I actually like the floor plan (less the door swing) you can update the tile and top the pony wall with a glass partition - modify the shower head and be done with it

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

Debbi's layout suggestion is an excellent one. It give you a much bigger vanity, added storage, and a less cramped feeling.

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am definitely leaning toward putting the tub and shower where the toilet and closet are now, thank you all! I will try to take better measurements and see what I might be able to do about putting in even a narrow cabinet someplace. The closet in this bathroom is the ONLY linen closet in the whole house. And I do need a place to put the kids' potty seat and bath toys (out of sight preferably!) as well as towels, and toiletries like sunscreen, medicine, bandages, toilet paper etc. Photos will be a little ways off, I don't think this project will start for another couple weeks, unfortunately! Stay tuned though!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

Here is a nice idea for extra storage:

These can go over the toilet

Get each of your kids a decorative plastic basket with their tub toys. As they grow you can change out the baskets to something prettier. That way they each have their personal space

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The husband is lobbying hard for a double vanity...I do hate to give up a closet or cabinet but I agree that a 2 sinks would be a great wow factor for showing the house. I'm excited to get started!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

You can fit a double sink vanity. You have a vanity now , then the tub ( 5 ft )! You will be bringing the toilet across ( it needs a minimum of 30" ) so those other 30 inches can add tot he cabinet you have now and become a double vanity! The room is 10 ft minus 30" for toilet - approx 30" for door swing leaves 60" for the vanity.

And you keep the closet...

• scottie mom
    4 years ago

You don't have room for a double vanity unless you get rid of both closets. Barn doors and pocket doors are not the solution here.

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A quick update....we did it! The plumber still needs to do the last little bit but everything is done! We gutted everything to the studs and subfloor. Decided to take out the closet after all so that we could fit the double vanity and the tub. This left a weird little space at the end of the tub. So instead of a full wall, because it would have blocked part of the window, we opted for a pony wall. We'll have a glass panel installed on top with a shower curtain rod rather than a glass door. Pretty excited! And looking forward to adding some floating shelves over the toilet, some greenery and perhaps a custom bathmat from Etsy I have my eye on.

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And the Before/After shot (toilet isn't installed, nor is the glass panel, but you get the idea)

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    4 years ago

You could still do a tall piece with cubbies at that end for storage...or just be creative - get one of those towel bar ladders or even a nice little table and a big tropical plant!.

It looks great! Enjoy

• HKO HKO
    4 years ago

Looks good. What is on the other side of the pony wall?

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nothing at the moment. I was thinking of trying to find a narrow basket to put back there for towel storage and then letting the new owners figure out the best solution for them. It's pretty narrow, 8" or so at the widest point. small floating shelves is something else my husband and I discussed.

• woods_girl
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Just wanted to come back and share the “after”. It is much improved to say the least!
    Thanks to everyone who weighed in...we did flip the tub to the other side of the bathroom and added a double vanity. I don’t have a linen closet anymore but there is some storage space behind the pony wall (you can see it with the half glass panel reflected in the mirror) and the vanity has lots of drawers and under sink storage. Everything came together so well, it’s almost hard to leave such a nice bathroom. Almost.
  • scottie mom
    4 years ago

A vast improvement! Well done :-)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.