webuser_71660

industrial glamour Splashback ideas

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Now the kitchen is in and we have an exposed brick wall to the side of the kitchen, I’m feeling that I much prefer some industrial glamour rather than just the raw industrial style ie with some warm metallics in there and a touch of 30’s glam (it is a 30’s house after all!)

So Carolina has suggested some pressed steel effect tiles which are 30x30 which are lovely but I felt the room was just all too grey. So then we looked at brass splashback - maybe aged so it’s not too blingy but OMG, the prices!! Talking £600 plus for a 3.2m x .5m splashback.
Wanted to save money by not doing the brick wall as well so that was out of our budget.

Anyway, I had some gold/brassy toned leaf and was experimenting on the pressed tile by adding it to the raised sections and can coat it in a varnish so that’s it waterproof. Not sure what this would look like across the back as 2 layers (so 2 tiles high) as not that good at photoshop, but do you think it could work?? Tiles aren’t expensive and neither is the metal leaf so it’s just my labour that will take time to make them.
What does the tile make you feel when you look at it? Ie not in keeping with the style I’m going for? We can’t quite work it out although I like the pattern and it’s different (I’m usually into plain things so I think this is why we can’t decide on it)

Another option is to spray paint the tiles in a real brass finish and perhaps try and age it so it’s less in-your-face.

Would have liked aged gold tone mirror but can’t find any and worried it will blind us as super sunny in the room, ha ha.

Comments (85)

• Monica
    5 years ago

About £30 you will need aprox2.5 litres. And yes the beauty of the resin is that whatever you place under it it's encapsulated for eternity. You could do either, you could even buy the cheap white tiles and gold metallic ink/paint then resin over and apply as you wish. Sky is the limit.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Is it washable then?
    Presume I would need to create a kind of box around the edges of the tiles for the resin to sit against or it will all run off?
  • Monica
    5 years ago

Yes fully washable, the art resin is food safe but you won't need it for the splash. That would be £150 so big difference in price. No need to faff with the tiles you just elevate the tiles on some blocks plastic rings and let the resin drip off the sides as it cures.

• Monica
    5 years ago

The resin is self levelling so it just domes gently on the edges, you can see on my panels. I tape mine prior as I do not want resin on the birch base but nothing further.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok thank you. Might give it a go covering that patterned one and see what it turns out like.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

I would consider wood. It's relatively cheap and can look amazing next to black.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

@Monica: your artwork is gorgeous!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Rachel - Ikea said it’s just aluminium so no brass in it at all. Might still be nice if a subtle brushed brass tone but will have to visit to check it
  • Monica
    5 years ago

Thank you dear Caro :)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just updating the post. Went to Ikea to look at that brass effect splashback. Would you believe it’s the only thing in the store they DONT have on display! LOL. Wasn’t impressed as had to buy them and drive to collect them just to see them :o0

Anyway - they are like a pale gold colour and quite nice. Thin metal with alu colour on the back.

I’m going to paint the wall first then hold them up to it to make sure it looks ok as need to cut the sockets out.

The finish is uniform of course and it’s not actually brass so it doesn’t have much texture or interest like real brass would so I’m not sure it will work. BUT, it cost £105 instead of £600 I was being quoted so ... ;0) worth a go!

Will post pics with them in due course
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    Hi! Interesting post - I have had the same dilemma, and like yourself got a quote for the aged brass at £600 and it is a lot. It’s prob the same place as I couldn’t find many suppliers in the uk! Ikea was also an option but I saw that it said it’s not advised for over the hob and would need to put glass or something on top but it’s def worth considering at the price and for the overall look. I also saw some gold leaf tiles that were beautiful but again it was working out around £500/600. Can’t wait to see your pics of Ikea one.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ah I wondered why she (Ikea lady) asked about the hob. Ours is just by the sink.
    Wonder why they make splashbacks that aren’t suitable by the hob though, LOL!

Yes two places prices the brass so far. Think satin brass is cheaper than aged and looked quite nice.

You will definitely be able to tell the Ikea one isn’t brass but it’s metal and gold toned and cheap, so ... ha ha
  • Chris Goodchild
    5 years ago

Hi Tani. Try talking to Themetalstore.co.uk their prices are good and they are very helpful. I think you could buy galvanised steel sheet and spray it with a two pack epoxy antique brass paint.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh wish I’d have seen them sooner. They have milled brass sheet for about £100 per 1m x 500 piece.

I did find an actual brass spray made in the UK that you buff and polish once coated so I guess I could always spray the alu sheets I have in it down the road. It will age like brass as well
  • Chris Goodchild
    5 years ago

Their prices are excellent and they will happily sell small amounts to anyone.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So I took the plunge and painted the back wall (which i love!!) in the same colour as the units (give or take - it’s not quite the same but similar)

AND ...
    now I’m not sure about having the gold tone splashback. LOL. It’s rather ‘in your face’ eek.

Wondering if I should scrap it altogether - maybe have clear glass around the sink?? And by the time I have wood shelves and framework with plants etc on the wall, that will be enough?

I would have gold toned accessories and lighting to break up the dark.

What do you guys think? LOL
  • Monica
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A million times much better and deffo no metal for me. I think texture is what that wall needs but if you do not want to spend any more money just leave it as is ( no glass either, cannot see why you would need it) and dress it with all the other bits. You're getting there Tani :)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yeah I’m thinking that as well. I can add some with accessories and shelving and lights.
    Wonder if the husband will be happy now we have to go back to Ikea to take all 3 splashbacks back. LOL!

Maybe I can use them on something else ... :0)
  • Monica
    5 years ago

A trip back equals more money saved, when put like that most men would find it hard to argue. I love how the whole kitchen looks much more part of the space now whether before it jumped out at you. You're heading in a great direction keep at it...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you. Yes it instantly feels more warm and cosy and welcoming than that horrid white wall. Ha ha. And I love white walls usually. It’s a lovely colour paint - I must say. Really easy to put on as well and got over half a tin left. Shame I can’t use it on the wood panelling in the lounge as don’t think it’s suitable?
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    I love that black wall! I really like the gold but I’m probably biased.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It’s like a rich blue grey tone (supposed to be F&B mix of off black but has a slight blue tinge to it. Tried to take a close up shot but the camera iPhone is not the best!
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    That’s the tone I’ve got for my actual kitchen. It looks black/dark grey but has a blue tinge to it. I’m thinking now I’ve planned out all of it like the gold splash back etc and like you maybe when the time comes it won’t look as I planned! What is your floor like?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, that’s always the way!!

Not chosen the floor yet but might go for an industrial style wood plank effect LVT with mid brown/grey tones in? Kind of like a driftwood I guess. Saw it in Booths here and always liked it as it’s not too cold but goes with grey
  • Monica
    5 years ago

If you mix an eggshell finish in the same colour for the panelling that should work Tani, or were you looking to use the same tin of paint you already have?.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes was hoping to use the same tin if I could- it comes out dead matt but says it’s washable and suitable for kitchens so not sure? I know I have to undercoat/prime the wood anyway
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

It's looking good Tani, I would just add the shelf/shelves and accessorise personally. It's a washable paint so should be fine, I just have washable behind my sink. I know I said eggshell for the panelling but I just used Little Greene intelligent emulsion on my own as it's also suitable for wood. As long as the primer is compatible it should be ok. Mine said it was suitable for high traffic halls etc (my particular wall is unlikely to take any scratches or dents, famous last words!) and yours also says it's tough and durable. I would probably take the risk myself, it's only your time lost if it doesn't fare well?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you. Yes I could always use it as the base coat and get a small tin durable finish for the top coat made from the same place. It was about £36 for this tin, eek. I though that was expensive, ha ha
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I would probably check they're compatible too. You could always use it in the bathroom? Don't mention paint costs to me ATM!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Are you buying the real stuff then @Minnie (ha ha)
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Err, yeah big mistake, even my little spare room took 5 litres on the ceiling, I swear the house has been drinking the stuff! And of course, not to mention 2 areas needed 3 coats...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    OMG @Minnie. Shame you don’t have shares in it ;0)
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I know, the beggars don't even give trade discount, that is just wrong!

not that he knows it yet but I'm planning on using a friend to get trade on an antique mirror splashback so I will recoup the money there!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oo let me know how much the mirror costs. I think antique mirror would work better on my wall - especially behind wood and metal shelving (drinks shelf!)

I did look at how to antique them yourself. Some very interesting methods - might work out so much cheaper than buying in
  • pmasmith3
    5 years ago
    Same colour wall and units looks great - just out of interest have you tried the splashback the stainless steel side?
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

It was quite dear. It was around 1k for 1m x 1.5m however that was toughened glass which I think is quite a bit dearer which you wouldn't need. They seem to offer 20% to most trades from interior designer to builder etc, you just need to provide a little info.

i looked into doing it years ago, I'm sure with your skills you could do it!

• Fran H
    5 years ago
    Another option could be a sheet of Formica. We have a Formica swatch that we have been looking at for kitchen units, but can’t see any reason why it couldn’t be used as a backsplash.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Eek @ Minnie yes toughened is expensive. Better option by heat though. Gulp at the price :0O
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @fran1 - are these thin sheets of Formica then? Or mostly worktops?
  • Fran H
    5 years ago
    They’re a thin sheet, a couple of millimetres thick. Usually stuck to a sheet of MDF, plywood, etc., of whatever millimetres applicable.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @pma - yes I thought about the silver side and although it looked better (guess because of all the silver in the room) it kind of drained the wall? Made it feel colder? Weird.

I got a bronzed brass sample from the metal sheet company and before I painted the wall, you couldn’t really see all the colours in it (just looked black) Then after painting, all the bronze and colours popped out of it so I’m getting a price.
    Will be something we will have to save for as it will be super expensive ie probably over £600 so we are going to live with the painted wall for now and add the shelves etc then see what we think :0)

Going to get some gold toned hanging lights as they might just lift that area without it being too much.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Apparently the bronzed brass isn’t suitable as a splashback (no idea why they sent me the sample then!) so that’s out of the question anyway.
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    Tani are you completely off the gold idea then?
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

It is a big gulp, made even worse by it will only be me stood at the aga that can see all of it. It has a wall extractor rather than the normal canopy extractor you'd have at the top of the opening so I either pay that or change the extractor...

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Sal as a splashback- yes. It’s too blinding as we are south facing. However, once all the shelving is added it might not stand out so much but I think we would go for something less polished and clean looking as the kitchen doesn’t really suit it.
    I imagine the gold would look amazing with a white kitchen as both quite bright
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

You could always try that glass splash back company who were always spamming the boards for the antique mirror splash back I believe it's something they do - I can't recall their exact name - Sun Studios was it?

• Sal89
    5 years ago
    That’s true, we are also south facing but in the process of the build so I don’t even know what will and won’t go in terms of colours. Yes I did like the polished but I’m leaning towards the more aged look. Something like these pics. Have you come across these triangle tiles? Overall does add up to £600 plus.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Sal yes that is one company I got a price off. I’ve seen their tiles - nice. It’s just we have over 3m to fill and that’s why it’s so expensive, lol
  • Sal89
    5 years ago
    I’ve only discovered them not long back and have requested a sample. We are also 3.3 meters long so yes it’s very pricy. Well il be looking out to see what you do with it as il soon be in the same boat.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.