webuser_71660

swap out flush spots in kitchen?

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Previous electrician had allowed for 12 spot lights across the extension (8 x 4 m room) with 3 going across the back run of units. One will be above the tall units as an angled spot (otherwise it’s dark in that corner) and the other two are over the main worktops.

As I have some time before the new electrician fits the lighting, I was thinking of swapping the two over counter ones for something more industrial and interesting. I would have liked wall mounted ones but too late now really so I wondered if there are any you can mount from a wall that would work in the kitchen??

Kind of like these type of things but the ceiling is also slightly sloped (just to add more issues!!)

(Picture of the kitchen is our layout. Won’t have a brick wall I don’t think now. There will also be pendants hanging by the island seating so wasn’t sure if fancy work lights would be too much?

Comments (10)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fab, thank you
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

does anyone know if this sort of lighting (the drop down angled spot) is ideal for over a kitchen worktop? ie instead of flush spots? the ceiling is about 2.75m high. Worried about shadows etc so although these may look nicer, are they as practical?

Any lighting experts here that can advise? lol

• rinked
    5 years ago

No light expert, but did study interior building and some design :)

A light fixture itself hardly ever casts a shadow, just like flush. If it's worklight, use led under cabinets/shelves or hang pendants above the countertop, because the one thiing that casts most shadows is yourself. Worklight at 2.5m+ is a bit high, but could work out fine for extra light.

Have your electricien add a socket where the white dot is (and drill a nice round hole in the back of the cabinet), for the driver of your shelf-lights (these days they have tiny touch-dimmers that also go under the shelf/cabinet or remote-control).

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was wondering about shelf lights when we actually get around to buying/making the shelving. I know we will have some on the far right side for cups etc so I'm wondering if he can chase out a higher socket at that point to hide a driver on the shelf. Hummmm...

So would you just stick to the ceiling basic spots in that area or swap them for hanging lights instead? Worried it would be too much with pendants at the island as well then over the dining table. Mass of different lighting, urgh

• PRO
    i-architect
    5 years ago

Personally I avoid spot lights as much as possible - there's a danger that you get that airport runway look! You can get amazing results with concealed LED strip lighting in kitchens if you're worried about choosing feature lights that will look strange together.

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yeah I know what you mean, LOL. It was the electricians that said I needed lots of spots. I’m not keen on them but I suppose it’s a practical thing.

At the moment I don’t have anywhere to put under shelf leds as no shelving as yet (will be a while as no idea what I’m doing as splashback either!!) so I have to choose to either pull the spots through or have fittings put on. The cables are only short though as already been put through.
  • PRO
    i-architect
    5 years ago

Yes electricians seem to love putting in rows and rows of spots! I've no idea why! There are lighting levels that you're supposed to reach (these are only recommended as far as I know off the top of my head - I would have to check building regs to see if there are actual requirements but even the building regs docs are only supposed to be guidelines so you don't have to follow them to the letter if you can prove you're meeting the spirit of the regulations) - different levels for different activities, like task lighting, lighting for movement through corridors, etc... one pendant light often gives a similar amount of light to a ceiling full of spots, so I would definitely challenge the spotlight approach and look at alternatives. You can get something a lot more interesting, beautiful and usable.

• rinked
    5 years ago

" Yes electricians seem to love putting in rows and rows of spots! I've no idea why! "

LOL yes they do! :P

If the walls haven't been plastered yet, you could have wall mount fixtures, that extend an eventual shelf, such as these:

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@rinq yes those are lovely and what I would have wanted if I had had some better lighting advice from them in the first place, LOL.

However it has been plastered now (boo) Anything new would have to be chased into the new block wall and re-skimmed over. Not sure how it would all work but I will speak to the electrician when he comes this week to see what he thinks.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.