webuser_941907833

Settlement Cracks

HU-941907833
5 years ago
I have a recently built house and I want to start decorating the interior. But noticed that the settlement cracks are creeping in on most of the walls. Is this common in a new house and how long does it last for. In the meantime what do I do to decorate the interior as I don’t want to put in furniture and decor and have to keep painting over them.

Comment (1)

• PRO
    Rukmini Patel Interior Design
    4 years ago

Hi - I would contact your builder in the first instance to see what is covered in their warranty and if they would be willing to patch up the settlement cracks. It is normal for new builds to have settlement cracks, but if you have a lot I would check with them for anything unusual.

If it's just a few gaps you will need to fill in the cracks using poly filler and fill in the gaps yourself or get a builder to do this. Once this has been dried and sanded you can decorate your walls.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.