creatch

Under cabinet LEDs running too hot?

Ned Beauman
5 years ago

I recently had a new kitchen installed. The cabinets have 2.6W Sycamore LEDs recessed into the undersides to cast light over the worktop. However, I soon noticed that the insides of the cabinets were getting pretty hot when the lights were on. So I measured with a kitchen thermometer, with the tip of the probe in the air just above where the LEDs are situated. With the door closed and the lights off, the ambient temperature inside the cabinets is about 22°C. But with the lights on, it goes up to 31.6°C. That's hot enough that spices will go stale really quickly and wine will basically cook in the bottle.

Can anyone tell me if I'm right to think that's abnormal? The kitchen company contacted Sycamore on my behalf, and Sycamore seemed totally uninterested in the problem. I suggested to the kitchen company that we replace the Sycamore lights with (as I imagine it) more efficient lights from a better brand, but if they claim that if the replacements lights are the same wattage, they will run just as hot. Are they right?

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.