webuser_71660

anthracite or lacquered bare metal RADS?

Tani H-S
5 years ago

Just deciding between these radiators for our new extension. One will go on a large wall - not sure what colour it will be painted yet.

The other will go on a brick wall.

Questions -

Do they both need to be the same finish? They are the only ones in the room but are a few meters apart.

https://www.radiatoroutlet.co.uk/600-x-1508mm-raw-metal-lacquered-horizontal-traditional-3-column-radiator

or Anthracite:-

https://www.radiatoroutlet.co.uk/600-x-1508mm-anthracite-horizontal-traditional-3-column-radiator

Which finish do you think is best to work with our semi -industrial style that would go with a multitude of wall colours/finishes.

Does anyone have this type of rad as not been able to see one up close so don't want to be disappointed with it.

RAW LACQUERED METAL
ANTHRACITE

Comments (29)

• Sonia
    5 years ago

They look very similar to me, just that the anthracite in a little darker! I’m veering towards anthracite..........

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes he said the raw metal was similar but the finish is just less immaculate. It’s not as dark as it’s just bare metal with a varnish finish
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Ooh I think I like the bare metal idea, sort of industrial. Nice. Basically I’m undecided lol!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, oh no! That’s two of us now ;0)
  • Martin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think Resh has the metal ones at the bottom of here....[https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/victorian-renovation-in-london-part-3-finish-line-dsvw-vd~5007838[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/victorian-renovation-in-london-part-3-finish-line-dsvw-vd~5007838) I think you should use the same finish on both, i'd side with Anrthracite but not much in it just a more matt finish

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Martin - might have to spend some time on that thread as I got lost and couldn’t find them, ha ha ha
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Carolina - I had the same one in my last house but it wasn't on a huge wall. Hard to know if the bare metal one is nice as some look too new and clean yet you can some that look like proper raw steel which is what I would have preferred. The link in the image looks too shiny from the pictures so it's hard to know :o/

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Based on the links, I'd go for anthracite

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think between those the anthracite might be nicer as the shop said the finish on the raw one is pretty much as per the picture which is not amazing tbh

I’m sure I could find a really good raw finish but at least double the cost! Ha ha. Oh well.
  • PRO
    Gerard Puxhe - Marbella & Londres
    5 years ago

Hi,

I'd go for the anthracite one.

Best

• kikiamack
    5 years ago
    I’d definitely choose the anthracite. I think the finish is nicer and a better colour. Not keen on the lacquer finish on the other one.
  • Danielle H
    5 years ago
    I’d go Anthracite, love the colour of the other one but not the shiny finish. Raw metal to me is more of a matte finish, almost rusty!
    Oh and heads up, I had a run in with this company. They said rads were in stock online, so I booked plumber for the day they were being delivered. My dad decided to ring and confirm a time as we hadn’t heard from them. They said ‘oh they’re out of stock it will be 4-6 weeks’. They claimed they’d called to let us know but they hadn’t. I left a review on trustpilot and to give them credit they rang straight away and low and behold managed to get the rad I wanted within a week, but only if I changed my review! So just a heads up, maybe ask for it in writing they’re in stock as the website isn’t always accurate!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @Danielle - yes I thought that we the finish. Would have preferred something that actually looks like raw metal than the strange finish they have.

Thanks re the heads up on delivery ! Better get it ordered ASAP then, ha ha. As long as I can get it though and know the pipe distance, I don’t actually need it for a while as it’s not been boarded yet :0)
    Was the cheapest I could find for the BTU it gave off!
  • Danielle H
    5 years ago
    Yeah that’s why I picked them in the first place, they seemed strangely cheap compared to most others! However I can say the quality and finish it great and I’ve had no problems with mine and it certainly throws off some heat!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    That’s really good to know, thank you. My previous rads never got that hot. I picked them for their size and look and never knew about the BTU etc, ha ha.
    This time it’s a huge room so I had to get the top end.
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok - so one last Q for these rads....

The plumber came today and we have actually moved the one from the centre of the dining room wall, further over to the side. Mainly because he said we couldn't ever put a tv over it as it's too hot (almost 10,000 BTU!) (we have a tv point there should we wish to use it as a lounge in future!)

SO.. as the wall might be a lighter colour, do you think I should go for white instead and keep the grey one on the brick wall?? Thinking it being off centre will be less obvious? Or do you not think it will matter that it's not central??

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Mock ups - although the mirror in the middle isn’t right and the shelving is just one they had on the design app so not this style.

Does look a bit weird with rad over the side but it’s in place now so will have to live with it.
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

Re colour: I'd be tempted to go anthracite for that one too. Since you don't know which colour the wall will be anyway. And you might decide to go dark if you want to make the TV less obvious. And it's a bit of a design feature too, isn't it? It's not an ugly radiator

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Could you switch that one for a vertical radiator?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I guess so. I like symmetry generally, ha ha. Might have to put a long sideboard on the other side instead to balance it out! LOL.

Weirdly - the first pic I posted up has a radiator image (which is not mine and I’ve no idea where that has come from!) but when you click on it, it shows my screenshot mock up! How weird is that!!
  • Carolina
    5 years ago

I'm on the computer and the pics look fine here. Last week there was a bit of confusion with pics on the app too.

• Carolina
    5 years ago

Symmetry is boring ;-)

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh yes the pic issue seems to only be on my phone! And yes, my kitchen is not symetrical so why start now, hahaha

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Hi Tani - I know this is an old thread, but I wondered what you went for in the end? I’m currently debating between the raw or anthracite finish and also considering the same supplier... (also considering whether to blow the budget and have cast iron).
    many thanks in hope!

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi! I went for the anthracite in the end. Was cheaper and also looked nicer than the bare metal as went to see one but they coat it in something and I didn’t like the finish

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Thanks for such a speedy reply!!
    On the screen, I much prefer the colour of the raw metal - not quite so dark - but I want it to look good too!
    Did you use the same company?

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can’t remember what the company was now (unless I put the link in the thread?)

I went to a bathroom showroom who had some raw metal ones but they were shiny. You can’t tell from the picture as I wanted bare metal look at the time but they have to coat them to stop them rusting apparently.

Think the company I got my rads from said the bare metal was quite plain and just a dull silver grey colour. I just remember not being as impressed as some of the images I saw online.

Guess it depends on the look you want as well although mine still fit in well with the brick wall etc

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Thanks!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.