lainey_hope

1500mm or 1600mm French doors?

lainey_hope
5 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're getting French doors at the end of our kitchen, onto the garden. And I'm being incredibly indecisive about whether they should be 1500 or 1600mm wide? I'd like to let lots of light in, so I've been leaning towards 1600, but a friendly chap at Sashed advised us that 1500mm is the nicest looking double door dimension. And having looked at our front door, which is 800mm wide, I'm wondering whether two of those side by side might look a tad cumbersome, so hard to tell!

Would love some opinions to help us decide?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (3)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I think it depends on the size of the wall. They need to look like they could fold back on themselves- this means they must be less than half of the wall length.
  • lainey_hope
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jonathan : )

That's a good thought, although the wall is 2.7m so would be rather narrow if we went for half. That does make me think 1.5 would be better though, what do you reckon?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Normally you would divide the wall space by 4. That gives you equal amounts of wall on the left, then two doors plus it's frame, followed by the same amount of wall on the right. That centralises everything. Howevever, that would make your doors 675mm each, which is too narrow to walk through.

A standard door is 750mm plus it's frame, which is actually quite big and too large for what you want.

I've just measured ours and they are 1500 including the frame, they are ok to walk through one on it's own, as sometimes we don't like both open. You wouldn't want to go narrower than that though. I'd go for your 1500mm.

lainey_hope thanked User
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.