christy25

Need help from designer for Thermal Blue Stone Tread Depth

christy25
5 years ago

We'll be getting a natural cleft flagstone patio (design attached as well as back yard picture - ignore the painted lines). The back patio door & side laundry room doors will both have flagstone landings. The rear landing will have a thermal blue stone border with natural cleft flagstone inset. The side landing will probably just be natural cleft flagstone without the border (due to the size of the landing). Both landings will have (2) steps each of thermal blue stone. I'm trying to determine the depth of the thermal blue stone treads.

I've attached a picture of our front porch (needs to be cleaned). It has an 18" deep thermal blue stone tread (2" thick). So 1st question - I'm guessing the treads for the back door & laundry room door should also be 2" thick? 2nd question is related to the depth of the blue stone treads. Should the back door ones be 18" (like the front) or is that overkill? And should the laundry room door ones be either 12" or 14" due to how small the landing is? I realize none of these entrances are within sight of each other, but I still want it to be somewhat uniform.

Last question - someone told me that 14" & 16" treads could throw off someone's step when going up/down them, as they aren't normal steps. Is that true - could it cause a tripping hazard? So is only 12" or 18" what our bodies prefer so-to-speak? Of course I want this to look good design wise, but also be practical. Thanks so much for your time.

Comments (17)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.