papayalady

Sound plasterboard

papayalady
5 years ago
I'm thinking of putting up some 15mm sound plasterboard on my party wall between my bedroom and the neighbour's. It's a single brick wall and the little boy next door tends to have tantrums late at night and I hear every sound when mum raises a her voice to tell him off! I've got chronic fatigue so really need my sleep! I can't fit a stud wall as I can't lose the space.
Has anyone got any experience of using sound plasterboard to block sound?

Comments (6)

• Daza
    5 years ago
    or if space is really tight then there is a solution with 1 or 2 sheets of plasterboard plus thin rubber sheet, but effectiveness seems to be unknown.
    https://www.soundstop.co.uk/soundproofing/soundproofing-walls/Tecsound-wall-solution6.php
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Does either of you have bare floorboards? It seems to me that sound travels more that way. If you have bare floors consider carpet.

If they have bare floors have a board up near your party wall and use spray foam insulation along the wall between the joists.

You should also consider if sound is traveling through loft space and add insulation up there.

This theory all comes from my experience with neighbours. My cellar is not plastered and in my cellar I can clearly hear my neighbours on their ground floor and some of that sound travels to my ground floor.
  • Daza
    5 years ago
    I would recommend something far denser than spray foam. I filled that gap with acoustic slabs, Rockwood RW3 or similar. Easier if your joists run parallel to the party wall and don't cut into it of course.
  • Rose Williams
    5 years ago

Hmmm, my mind wonders if a layer of bubble wrap, or more like the insulation sheet bubble wrap sandwiched between the plasterboard and wall would make this idea more effective and also not take a lot of space?

• papayalady
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks all for your advice. All floors have carpets upstairs, but as it's a single brick party wall sound carries

Bubblewrap - I think I'll look into this as well as the rubber sheet/plasterboards solution.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.