webuser_514549563

1930s fireplace

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello

we moved into our 1935 built house a few days ago and boxed into the master bedroom and 2nd bedroom are these Art Deco fireplaces. they aren’t what I was expecting or to my taste as such however It feels so un natural to rip out original features as genetally I want to keep as much as possible. Is it possible to paint tiles succesfully? I like the shape of them but not the colours? And could/ should I put a surround around them ?

if so what style. HELP! Thank you

Comments (15)

• 5 years ago
    Please post pictures
  • 5 years ago

Sorry it didn’t work first time

• 5 years ago

• 5 years ago
    These fireplaces never had a surround so adding one won’t work. You can paint them but I bet you don’t like their plainness when they are painted.
    Personally I think bedroom fireplaces limit furniture placement which is likely part of the reason why they were covered. You should only keep a fireplace if you love it.

Ps if it helps you feel better about it consider adding an appropriate coving to make up for removing this fireplace feature.
  • 5 years ago

These 1930’s tiled fireplaces are like marmite! I had 2 in my 1934 house but I personally did not like them so they were removed. Never, in the last 30 years did I ever regret my decision. However, some people love them.

• 5 years ago
    Compromise : keep one, remove one ... the blue/green one looks really nice and you could build a lovely colour scheme starting with that. The creamy one is identical to one I have in my bedroom. Honestly I don’t love it but won’t remove it because it is part of the story of my home, and it does add character to the room.
  • 5 years ago
    My daughter painted an identical fireplace in a bedroom which she has now converted to a nursery..... an ugly yellow to a lovely mid grey and what a transformation - a feature which she ( and me) really disliked (she similarly felt she shouldn’t remove it) is now a very pretty focal point to the room..... you should try it, as if you don’t like it, then at least you’ve had a go at retaining it and will feel better if you decide to remove it!
  • 5 years ago

I wouldn't keep them just because they are old, keep them if you like them. They will divide people, it's personal taste. If I bought a house with them in, they wouldn't put me off, but I would remove them.

• 5 years ago
    My entire street was built with these types of fire places. You see them all the time on skips outside my neighbours' houses. Fortunately the previous owners of my house already ripped them out! Just remember to put in an air vent for air circulation when you board it up.
  • 5 years ago

A wonderful find if you are into this style and type of fireplace, we have 3 in our house and I salvaged another from a neighbour who was chucking one out.

Tile paint takes a bit of prep first so can be time consuming and the finish does not always look great, you may end up making them look worse.

It is a question of do you remove part of the history of the house or just leave alone for other people in the future to maybe appreciate them.

Just be aware some of these fireplaces had Asbestos rope in behind, for this reason at my work which is for a local housing association, we no longer remove tiled fireplaces and instead have custom made fire surrounds which fit over the top thus encapsulating them.

• 5 years ago
    Well I would take off that wide wooden boxed in thing from around it so you can dress the top with a plant, a vase anything and then you have above which you can put a pretty mirror or picking out the blues maybe a picture. Blues/ teals and corals may look rather nice as a way of living with the fireplace surround.
  • 5 years ago

I have these in my house, i painted them the same colour as the wall and then varnished them with clear gloss wood varnish, i love them!! Im having problems uploading photos or i would

• 6 months ago

Hi, I have a similar fireplace and I am looking at replacing 4 tiles (the blue ones). Would you know someone who would be able to help me? Thanks

• PRO
    6 months ago

keep the tile and build accent around it

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.