modishliving

Christmas decorations before 1st of December?

Modish Living
5 years ago

We've seen so many shops already displaying their Christmas decorations, pubs are advertising their Christmas menus... what about you?

Will you decorate your home for Christmas before 1st of December?

Yes
No
Other, please comment

Comments (17)

• Emily
    5 years ago
    20 years ago my my daughter was due around the tenth of December and I thought I must decorate before otherwise it might not get done at all. I thought it was ridiculously early but the next year and every year since I did the Christmas tree just before her birthday and it’s our tradition. So shows how things have changed in just twenty years that people might decorate before December even starts! But to each their own! I have to say though that i used to follow the twelve days of Christmas but putting them up early means I can’t wait to get them down so don’t have them up for new year anymore.
    Modish Living thanked Emily
  • GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    5 years ago
    Spooky, my daughter was also born on December the 10th as well as my niece! She was not happy to be told on her 5th birthday that her aunt had had a baby girl. (She didn't want to share her birthday.) I used to wait til the 11th to put up my Christmas decorations, but now it is the 1st. The kids are now in charge of it , fortunately I only have red, white, green, gold and silver decorations so there is a colour scheme although it does look random.
    Modish Living thanked GardenFairyGodmother GFG
  • teenytinyhouse
    5 years ago

Decorations out of the loft the weekend preceding the 1st December. Night of the 30th at the very earliest major pieces, such as the tree, might get set up, and bits of furniture moved about in preparation, tinsel detangled, but otherwise it all goes up on the 1st. As long as I don't host Christmas it's okay, but my FIL's birthday is in mid december and they have a strict "no xmas before dad's birthday" policy. Not even a solitary mince pie... it's deeply distressing for this tinsel-addict!

Modish Living thanked teenytinyhouse
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Actually her birthday is the twelfth she was a few days late. And I know people with birthdays in December can be funny about it getting “lost” in the Christmas frenzy but we made the decorations going up as the sort of “indicator” that my daughters birthday was here. And actually it worked really well, it’s early enough that people weren’t sick of having to go to Christmas events or panicking about shopping and I suppose took advantage of the early Christmas atmosphere. When she was little I’d sometimes cheat and give a selection box or other seasonal thing for party gifts. Happy days :)
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

We always have two real trees - one in each sitting room and we try to wait until mid December to get them to ensure they last until the new year.

One is decorated in delicate gold ornaments and bells and twinkling glass and in the other room, it's more traditional baubles and tassels in reds, greens and golds.

Modish Living thanked Ribena Drinker
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    I agree that 3 weeks is plenty long enough Jonathon. That’s why mine come down a bit early. Lovely tree and room :)
    Christmas is full of tree debates! When to put up? Real or artificial? Glitzy or sparse decorations? And one tree or more? I do one tree or two trees depending on the year. And do artificial or real depending on what I feel like and sometimes do both. :)
    And I’m not sure what I’ll do this year. Ho Ho Ho!!!
  • hapiak
    5 years ago
    Always the 1st December but now my little ones have started school it’s the first weekend in Dec.....happy the 1st is a Saturday this yr!!
    Modish Living thanked hapiak
  • Angie
    5 years ago
    Our trees (real) go up on the Saturday before Christmas. When 25th is early in the week, they go up the Saturday before. Hubby buys the trees mid December and keeps them outside until needed. We love the place all decorated for Christmas but we don't want too much of a good thing! We take it all down the weekend after new year normally.
    The reason for two trees is to have one in the sitting room and one outside the French doors. No room for it in the dining room so we enjoy seeing it outside instead. A bit of an indulgence really but we like it.
    Modish Living thanked Angie
  • AMB
    5 years ago
    My birthday is at the beginning of December so that's the cue to put decorations up. We usually put some up during the first weekend of December and then the Christmas tree always real) and other foliage (real) and decoration goes up in mid-December. I take it all down on the 6th January.
    Modish Living thanked AMB
  • obobble
    5 years ago
    We also do the one/two weekend before thing depending on proximity of the festival days. Door wreath goes up earlier. I was toying with adding an outside tree so would be interested in how you decorate/ light your outside tree Angie? Might also do some outside lights this year and they would go up earlier.
    Modish Living thanked obobble
  • Angie
    5 years ago
    Obobble, we just put lots of lights on the outside tree. My husband has a thing for tree lights! The first year we put tinsel on as well but it got so wet we didn't do it again. The tree is tall, 2-3m and we stand it in a wooden tub. We can see it through the kitchen door (half glazed) as well as the French doors. The lights are plugged in indoors so easy to manage and no worries about enough light for solar.
  • Angie
    5 years ago

Not a great picture of last year's, which wasn't as tall as we like. There were lights all over but I managed to take the picture when some were on the off phase!

• Jenny Waples
    5 years ago

Up Christmas Eve down day after Boxing Day cant stand the clutter

Modish Living thanked Jenny Waples
  • PRO
    BoConcept Manchester
    5 years ago

Although we are a furniture showroom we do have Decorations up before December but we've not gone full hog. We'll have dinner tables set up with a few seasonal decorations only. We only put a Christmas tree in store in December.

Modish Living thanked BoConcept Manchester
  • ashleyizz
    5 years ago
    The mantle and other bits go up first or second week of December. Depending how early in Dec the Saturday is.
    The tree maybe the week after as it's in a room with a fire and drops if up too early.
    However I do start putting up bits as early as now but they aren't Christmas specific. For example some hanging stars went up this week when I brought them.
    Modish Living thanked ashleyizz
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    I inadvertently decorated our tree last year in the Scottish ruby team colours ... much to my husband’s delight ! He thought I’d done it on purpose and has requested the same again !! Lol !! Only you guys know the truth !!! Tee hee !!
    Modish Living thanked OnePlan
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.