webuser_93705663233

PLEASE HELP!! Kitchen Cabinets Dilemma

Stephanie Wagner
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are having the big to paint or not to paint debate at our household. We currently have honey oak cabinets that are in great shape, they just make the whole kitchen look orange. We have done a ton of remodeling that includes a new floor, doors and trim but we still have the oak cabinets. Thoughts on this? Shall we paint? She we update in another fashion? Any advice/suggestions are totally welcome!

Comments (39)

• smit2380
    5 years ago

I like your cabinets (and loathe painted cabinets). They look warm (as opposed to orange) to me.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the kitchen instead of just the pantry? I think the decision depends on the quality of the existing cabinets and layout.

• Related Discussions

What to with this kitchen please help!!!!

Q

Comments (6)
    I am afraid blur will be limiting. I like the idea of gray, then in bring in the blue with accents. I would remove the lone cabinet on the left. Is it possible for you to build a pantry? A place to store the freezer is my goal with that. Where is your refrigerator? Just trying to get the lay of the land. A pantry would not be any deeper than the cabinet already there and with a sliding door you free up lots of space. Build it the width you need to fit the freezer and then about a 12 -18inch wide shelf space for boxed items, cereal etc. Leave enough room to fit your refrigerator next to it...about 30 -32 inches is needed. It looks like you have nearly 7 feet to play with. I know this pic is a washer/dryer, but just to give you the feel.
    ...See More

Need help with my kitchen please

Q

Comments (7)
    I believe the cabinets are a dark charcoal, sometimes also known as off black... The valences can be even more super simple to make yourself if you buy two table runners with a similar design and sew three ends together :) then sew rod pocket and install the rod on the back of the overhang :) If you can't find table runners, it's such simple sewing that definitely can be done by a beginner.
    ...See More

Please help me to update my old antique pine kitchen

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree, I think the kitchen units are quite charming. The tiles date it, the top of the dresser and the piece over the window. Agree, would paint the ceiling a soft chalky white. I know they're becoming a little overdone but metro tiles would suit but handmade ones in a soft white unless you just remove the tiles altogether and have a splashback by the oven. Can you afford to update the floor? The dresser offers good storage space, have you considered either just removing the top half or updating the top so changing the architrave and glass panes? The fire itself looks lovely, do you need the heater in front? I also like the brick but the recesses are dating it. I definitely wouldn't paint the brick, if you were to do anything I think it would need plastering over to cover the niches unless you are able to match the brick. Do you have a better pic of the firep? If you are set on painting the kitchen units, I would look at the really dark greys and inky Blues for the base units, as I think they'd suit the style well, with brass cup handles with a very pale grey for ŵall units. Or if you want the same colour units, look at a mid tone grey.
    ...See More

Help???!! What colour for kitchen cabinets please??

Q

Comments (0)
    What colour should I paint these kitchen cabinets?
    ...See More
  • tackykat
    5 years ago

I think your cabinets are beautiful - I don't think they are "orange." Please do not paint them white!

• Stephanie Wagner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a view of the kitchen area. Ignore the white panel on the side of the island, we were trying to get an idea of what white would look like. We have considered just painting the island and/or pantry/desk area.

• Suki Mom
    5 years ago

I think your cabinets look very nice as they are. It would be a shame to paint oak cabinets.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

I would replace your counters before I painted the cabs. I do understand about orange oak fatigue since I had it. Maybe just painting the island is the place to start. I think your cabs look nice though.

• User
    5 years ago

If you’re itching to paint something, paint the island a COLOR. Blues and greens look especially good with oak.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

were you going to DIY paint them? tons and tons of work just prepping them.

if you do want to paint the island, then research the proper prep (Evolution on Style has an awesome post on how to paint) and do some nice trim work while you're at.

you don't have to do the corbel things. just the trim work to give some class.

• Boxerpal
    5 years ago

I love your oak cabinets. I think they are warm and inviting. And you are very lucky you don't have the arch on the cabinet doors that would date your space. Instead you have the shaker look with warm wood. Perhaps a new countertop could make them look new to you and you might fall in love with them. Wood is wonderful as you can see below

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Kitchen Expansion · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

Remington Drive · More Info

Kitchen examples · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Modern Craftsman Farmhouse · More Info

Ortega French · More Info

Portfolio Projects · More Info

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Crocus Hill Kitchen · More Info

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

The kitchen layout has so much potential.

I say new cabinets with a factory finish paint job , new soft close glides, hardware will be a great investment. Bring all cabinets to same height with crown touch ceiling.

make island have 3 sided seating

or a peninsula.

If peninsula will need to bring it in enough so seating will not in door way

Quick sketch

If funds are not available yet, I just leave the cabinets as is.

• User
    5 years ago

I don't see anything wrong with your cabinets....have you thought about changing your lighting??? Are you using soft white lights?

• flora2b
    5 years ago

If the layout is functional, have you considered just staining them darker......a sanding and some of the newer stain products could really change things up.....if you paint them white....then they could look like cheap cabinets as white hides everything.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Agree with boxerpal. You’re lucky that you have a nice door style. I think your kitchen is lovely.

Your layout is pretty good. i like the wood, which is not actually as dated as it was 5-10 years ago now that wood is coming back around.

it looks like you dont have enough lighting. Kitchens should have ~35 lumens of ceiling light per square foot plus undercabinet lighting to feel sufficiently lit.

Beyond lighting, I might remove the short backsplash and install a simple creamy tile backsplash as an “update.”

• Jane
    5 years ago

The appliance garage and up/down staggered look really dates the kitchen

new counters and paint the island, it will look totally different.... also, maybe take urns down, looks like your collecting old relations

• User
    5 years ago

I do not care for the oak cabinets with your floor. I’d paint.

• lindastein
    5 years ago

following...

• sloyder
    5 years ago

would change the countertops, they match the cabinets too closely.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

The cool gray walls are not the best with the warm wood. Cool grays and warm wood tones don't do anything for each other. Warm wood cabinets (often white oak) are returning and the darker cool grays are diminishing in the newer design pics. The white and gray kitchen is waning - a bit over done, though both white cabinets and light gray walls are still popular.

Oak is not a paint grade wood because of the grain texture which shows through the paint - not the color, just the texture. This does not bother some, but does others. Maple cabinets paint up better, but painted over a previously finished surface in general will not hold up as well as factory painted cabinets. The cost of getting a really good paint job is thousands - and even some of those don't hold up - I've seen them at open houses. You might put that money towards new cabinets in the future if the wood really bothers you. Wood also moves with changes in temp and humidity which can cause hairline cracks in the paint at the joints. This is why most painted cabinets are MDF or MDF combined with wood - that is more stable as to movement. Your new interior doors are probably MDF.

If you do not have it, get under cabinet lighting. It will improve your present kitchen and be there if you remodel down the road.

This is my small and modest oak kitchen refreshed with new counter, backsplash, sink and under cabinet lighting:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/57579129/list/my-pics-work-in-progress

This is my "wood kitchens" idea book which includes some refreshed older kitchens:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

One change to consider is the over the range microwave. If you have room for a microwave over by the pantry, either on the counter or retrofitted into a cabinet, consider putting a dedicated stainless vent over the range. it will look better and vent better.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Cabinets are beautiful, just the way they are. I dont mind the countertops either. Your floors are also very nice. I would maybe paint your island a nice color. I am not fond of your bar stools, and the paint color on the wall, isnt doing your kitchen any favors. What I see when I look at the picture is everything all monotone and nothing colorful, and nothing cheerful. Its just not a very comfortable friendly looking kitchen. There are no window treatments, and even the table runner is dark and boring. I would leave the cabinets, paint the island, and paint the walls, and put some bright cushions on the bar stools, and get a bit of pretty in there. It looks like maybe you could use a bit more lighting too.

• salonva
    5 years ago

I like Sophie's suggestion to paint the island a color ( I particularly like the Moscow Midnght and Endless Sea (but obviously I can't tell in YOUR kitchen). I agree that under cabinet lighting would be a good idea as well as changing the wall color. I don't think the gray enhances what you have.

I also think that the stools, while not horrible, definitely don't add to any update so I would replace them. I think you have a lovely kitchen.

• Stephanie Wagner
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think the pics I put on here really show the true color of walls. They are a beige tone, supposed to be a warm color. Also, we just moved in here this summer, my hubby who is an electrician (thank goodness!!) is going to do under cabinet lighting as soon as we get done with the outside remodel. There is also recessed lighting that you can see very well in the pic, so it's much better lit than the pic indicates. I plan to look for new bar stools this weekend and have a counter guy coming with samples and to measure on Monday. All of that being said, what is suggested for countertop (color and type)? What do ya all think for bar stools?

• Vicki Smith
    5 years ago

The 80's and 90's really left us with golden oak overload. Here is the "thing" with oak cabinets. The panels often look like plywood because of the way the grain is cut. If you had beautiful quarter sawn oak it really would be a sin to cover it with paint. What you have is nice, but it is nothing unique or beautiful. Something about them is making you want a change so I'd say go for the change. If you decide to paint go in to it knowing that quality prep and paint are required because our kitchens really are work horses. If you decide not to paint I think a few glass front cabinets could go a long way to alleviate the golden oak overload. Bead board would look great on the island.

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

Beige walls are what shows up in the picture Not complimentary to your cabinets and kitchen at all. Try a paint that is light, with green, blue, or aqua tints. That will work with your cabinets so much better. Check the paint color in all lighting and make sure it has clear tones to it, not muddy tones

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

You can go either light or dark with the counters, but if you want the kitchen to feel lighter, go light. Then take a light color from the countertop and do a simple tile backsplash if you want a backsplash. Subway tile, usually a cream, looks good with oak cabinets. Small mosaic tiles look too busy and compete visually with the grain and any pattern / movement in the countertop. A backsplash is not necessary and you can just go with painted wall as you have now - absolutely nothing wrong with that. Wall paint usually comes last - you can pick up another light color or the same light color from the countertop that you used for the backsplash. Do not make the final decision on the backsplash till the countertop is in. Seeing the big picture with the new countertops may change what you want to do. Then pick wall paint.

You probably should decide whether you are going to paint the cabinets or not first. What works with wood may not work with whatever color you chose to paint.

• PRO
    Rebecca Quandt Interiors
    5 years ago

Here's the bottom line: once you paint the cabinets, you can't un-paint the cabinets. If you're already thinking of replacing the countertop, do that first.

You will want to go to the slab yard to pick out your new countertop material. When you go, be sure to bring a cabinet door or drawer with you so you can see how it will pair with the existing cabinets.

As far as what material you should consider, I would recommend a natural stone over quartz (although quartz is all the rage). Granite is somewhat "out" in the moment, but there are some really pretty granite countertops out there that won't look dated. My favorite stone material for kitchens is Quartzite. It is a completely natural stone and it's more durable than granite, quartz, and marble. It also doesn't have the maintenance required with marble, but probably won't be as cheap as quartz.

I like the stone that I photoshopped into your picture is a Quartzite Cielo (look it up in google images). It's mostly gray but has some hints of orange and beautiful veining (which I think really brings the stone to life).

Here are some ideas (you might not like them all, but it's more to get you thinking and maybe someone else will comment with additional thoughts):

1. If you want to take your kitchen up a notch, you could do a waterfall edge on your island. It would help define the seating space.

2. You can also use one countertop material for your island and a different material on the cabinet surround. In this case, I wouldn't paint the island, but keep it the same so it doesn't look like the island belongs in a different kitchen.

3. (Like others have already mentioned) Paint the island - same countertop throughout.

4. Add backsplash tile instead of having a 4" backsplash that matches the countertop. The current backsplash is a dated look.

As far as bar stools, it's hard to give recommendations without knowing what other furniture styles you have in the rest of the house.

I did a quick 3D model to show you some ideas. Maybe it will help you visualize your kitchen differently! (I didn't spend too much time selecting materials, so use it as a concept, not a design scheme).

Stephanie Wagner thanked Rebecca Quandt Interiors
  • lisa_a
    5 years ago

If you paint the cabinets, do you plan to hire the work out or DIY it?

My BIL recently painted his oak cabinets and they look great but it was *very* time intensive because he followed an 8-step process (I can get the link if you want it) for the best result. His kitchen is 1/3 the size of yours. Painting only the island would be much less time consuming.

Are you only bothered by your kitchen's appearance? Or do you also want to improve storage capacity? If the latter, research your options and add the costs up before you move forward with any changes. It would really stink if you were to install new counters and then decide that it made more fiscal sense to get new cabinets instead of a giving your existing cabinets a new look.

We had honey oak cabinets prior to our full remodel. They weren't so amber when we built in '94 but the oil based finish had yellowed over time. We looked at all the options: painting, refinishing and refacing. They were all more expensive than we had anticipated, especially when we also added in converting the old drawer guides to soft close, full extension and adding more ROTs (roll out trays) to the base cabinets. So we did a full remodel, which included changing our lay-out to fix functional issues.

We plan to stay in our home until we can no longer get up and down the stairs safely, which we hope is at least 15 years from now. Resale and ROI didn't factor in to our remodeling decisions.

If resale is in the near-ish future, don't overspend on the remodel.

Good luck!

• PRO
    Alison Powers Color Consultant
    5 years ago

I vote for painting your cabinets. If you keep your current granite, you will want to paint them a light color that coordinates with a color in the granite. (Not white, since there doesn't appear to be any white in your granite.) If you're prepared to both paint the cabinets and replace the countertop, I would paint the cabinets white (or cream), and use white quartz with very little pattern or movement in it. Another option would be white cabinets with black countertops. In my opinion, painting your cabinets would go a long way towards updating your kitchen.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I think the thing that is "dating" your kitchen is the granite countertops.

I was going to say the same thing. Your cabinets are a nice mid-tone neutral, but the countertops are "bringing out the orange".

• virginia lynn
    5 years ago

Your cabinets look in good shape and quality to me. Have you considered changing out the counter tops and back splash? Paint the walls maybe

• zellenpat
    5 years ago

Painting oak is a big mistake. Oak has a dominant grain that can not be removed and looks terrible painted. The orange is the finish of the oak more than the oak itself. Strip the finish and use a nonyellowing clear finish. I agree with a dramatic hood and retro fit the microwave into a csbinet. Maybe even a lower cabinet.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

painting oak is not a mistake. some people like the wood grain to show. if you don't, they make a wood filler just for that type of grain. Both of these are painted oak. yep. the afters look pretty darn bad

Stripping those cabinets and applying a clear finish is not something a novice should attempt. It's extremely labor intensive. Painting is almost as intensive, but they don't need to be completely stripped first. People who are suggesting, "oh just strip it and apply a non yellow clear finish" have never attempted to do that exact thing on 25 kitchen cabinets! and almost all oil based finishes will yellow. water base, not so much, but it's not as durable.

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

Here is a blog post by someone who painted her cabinets. She is still very pleased with the results 3 years later. Some of her cabinets show wear, which being a DIY person she quickly and easily repaints the worn areas (which do not show on pics taken from a distance.) This is the sort of wear I have seen. Whether this is a problem or not depends on the temperament / DIY skill of the owner. Some see this kind of wear and shrug it off, get the can of paint out now and then and do touch ups. Others are disappointed because it bothers them a lot and don't like or don't feel able to refresh the paint job.

https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/painted-kitchen-cabinets-three-years-later/

A little wear:

Here is another with similar outcome. Neither of these people regret painting their cabinet though both also show what the wear can look like. Both feel that their cabinets have held up well. That depends on ones expectations.

https://www.dukemanorfarm.com/2016/02/pros-and-cons-of-painting-kitchen-cabinets-white.html

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

good point jh. prepping before painting is 75% of the work and should not be taken lightly. we did my friends oak cabinets almost 10 years ago. stripped and sanded and primed well. Took the 4 of us almost 3 solid days. there isn't one chip in them toady.

• Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

We moved into a home that has a painted vanity in a bath. White on oak. It has chipped and then worn at handles . I cannot wait to change it. You can see the grain (which I am fine with but still). With this last move I saw many painted cabinet kitchens in starter homes. Maybe one looked fine. I would put in a white ish counter, clad and paint the island the same white, and I find green walls help.

• Vicki Smith
    5 years ago

Even after sanding, priming, and two coats of paint, the texture of the grain on oak does show. I once painted oak cabinets black and I like that grain lines showed. I felt that the grain proved the cabinet doors were real wood. Today I am in a different house and have factory painted maple cabinets, the doors are smooth and the cost of going with wood vs MDF doesn't show in the finish. Hopefully the extra expense will be returned in longer life for the doors.

• PRO
    BMore Executive Suites
    5 years ago
    Here's a kitchen waiting to be renovated while I renovate OPH (other people's houses). some issue with the original oak cabinets. I think the green and cream in the wall paper and backsplash not only tone down the orange tone of the oak, but draw the eye away from the cabinets. I would change the wall color away from beige, or anything in the brown part of the color wheel and go for green/blue and add an attractive backsplash. Leave the cabinets unpainted. In your photos, I like the door handles you've chosen, but I think the scale is off. If they were larger, that would also enhance the oak doors and create another point of interest for the eye. I would definately try to eliminate the appliance garage. If it is too difficult to remove, I would remove the rolling door and fill it with favorite cookbooks. I'd rather have a book book than a garage in a kitchen. Best wishes on your decision.
  • Michelle Huber
    5 years ago

I have decided to " embrace the oak" in my kitchen. We just finished an update to our kitchen.

• PRO
    Renov8or
    5 years ago
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.