hzdeleted_39390361

Help needed with exterior colours

User
6 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are building a coastal home. Council DA requirements stipulate the Solar absorptance rating be between 0.475 - 0.70 which limits our choice of colours to Windspray or Basalt. We will have Scyon Linea board on the upper floor and rendered brickwork on the lower floor. Can someone help me with choosing exterior colours please for fascia, gutters, upper and lower floors and garage? Also what colour window frames (white or black/charcoal or grey). Thanks so much.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    6 years ago

Your designer should be able to make some suggestions. If you were my client I would suggest the "Windspray" for the roof, gutter and downpipes. I would use Colorbond "Surfmist" for your fascia to contrast the gutter, and match this with a paint colour for the upper Scyon Linea board as the upstairs is the largest visual element and you don't want to make it seem top heavy.

For the downstairs render I would bring in "Basalt" as a paint, and match this with a garage door in the same "Basalt" colour, to visually anchor the base.

Verandah posts I would do in Basalt, with window frames in black, and a front door in a aqua/teal.

Werribee House · More Info

Get your designer to add these colours to his black and white image and post it back on Houzz,

Best of luck,

Dr Retro

of Dr Retro House Calls

• girlguides
    6 years ago
    Because they wear more and you’re near the coast so harsher environment don’t do black window frames - go white
    And as roof is not a feature facing house front (btw it’s lovely) go for any colours you like as you’ll barely notice roof it seems
    I’d also choose windspray for the coast and maybe white upper definitely dark lower. If you go say surfmist for upper see if downpipes that don’t go to ground can be surfmist else go darker than or same as below eg basalt. Manor red or perhaps yellow eg dulux Happy front door
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you both for your great suggestions! We're only limited to Windspray or Basalt for the roof, so I was thinking Surfmist for the Linea board.

I was also tossing up whether we should have the upper and lower floors in the same colour and bring in the Basalt on the garage door and the verandah posts and possibly the fence?

What do you both think?
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I've post some drawings of the other elevations. As you can see, the upper floor will be pretty much level with the backyard. Glass balustrade at the front with a wooden deck at the back (probably with wood posts and wire - sorry, not sure what it's called).
  • PRO
    Highview Homes
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Donna,

I find there are a ranges within colorbond colours that all tone for some great themes. One of these are Monument, Basalt, Windspray, Shale Grey and Surfmist. Don't be afraid when using these colours to reduce the strengths for lighter shades. We recently needed a light grey to sit behind Surfmist and found 1/4 strength Shale Grey did the trick. Good Luck!

• debbietaylor37
    6 years ago

Hi donna, advise from Highview homes and Dr retro are all on the money ... follow some of these guide lines and you will be fine.

Anchoring the building is quiet critical.

Window colour suggestion sound - lighter is better by the coast.

• PRO
    fountaindesign
    6 years ago

Hi Donna,

I suggest you check those requirements again. Why is there a minimum figure? Classic Cream, Surfmist, Zincalume and Paperbark all have solar absorptance values of less than 0.475. Most of the other colours have values of 0.70 or less. Colours with values greater than 0.70 include Woodland Grey, Monument, Ironstone, Cottage Green, Deep Ocean and Night Sky. The value for Windspray is right in the middle at 0.58. Other options in that range include Cove, Gully, Jasper, Manor Red and Basalt.

• Linda
    6 years ago
    Hi Donna, just wondering why you are limited to those colours for your roof? We’re building on the coast at the moment and have a surfmist roof and gutters. Rest of the house is shale grey axon cladding and texture coat with basalt garage doors and monument windows. I can post a progress pic if it would help.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Linda, we are on the Far South Coast in the Eurobodalla Shire Council area. The Basix stipulates the solar absorptance rating be between 0.475 - 0.70 so Surfmist is not an option for us unfortunately. We queried it but that's what it is.
    I'd love to see your photos. Thanks, Donna
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Great advice Highview Homes! Those colours are all the ones we love. Is it true that we should stick to 3 colours only on the house? If Windspray is on the roof, the hard decisions are what colour to use on all the other external surfaces.
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Go beachy with door, white with walls and off-white/cream with garage door.

• User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh, I like that celerygirl!! Is this your house? If so, what colours are they?
  • Linda
    6 years ago
    This is it at the moment. The bottom is yet to be texture coated and will be in shale grey the same as the cladding. Hopefully it will look ok.
  • User
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Linda, your house is looking great!!! I love the colours!! In which council area are you?
  • Linda
    6 years ago
    We’re in Manning Great Lakes on the mid north coast.
  • Martin
    5 years ago

Donna do you have a pic of your house completed?

Its very similar to waht we are building so Im interested in the colours that you picked!

Thanks

Martin

• User
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Martin,

Our build is a bit behind schedule so we have just had the plumbing laid. Slab going down this week.

Will post photos of colours when we are at this stage. What colours are you thinking?
  • voidhairdesign
    5 years ago
    We are thinking monument and vivid white. Im a bit uneasy about the white but my wife loves it!
  • PRO
    ARCHAN KUMAR 3D ARCH RENDERS
    5 years ago

Hi Donna

You can use our 3D services for color options.We can develop 3D with different color option,which would be easier for you to decide on.For more info visit my website www.archankumar.com

Regards

Archan

• fenix_muppet
    3 years ago

donna_hendry4 Hi Donna, I've seen your post from 2 years ago and would love to see what the final paint colour looks like. I'm currently trying to choose colours and would like know what your Shale Gray house turned out like. thanks Julie

User thanked fenix_muppet
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

fenix_muppet Hi Julie, here is our finished house. Ironstone render, Silkwort cladding and Windspray roof.

• djsn1957
    2 years ago

We have a backyard with 2 x Colorbond 'Monument' fences alreacy in place! We are about to replace our other old timber fence! Looking to soften the look before landscaping and planting round a new pool! Looking for advice in fencing colours to complement tge 'monument' everywhere out back! Basalt or Shale grey etc?? Even neighbours hv monument everywhere (ie roofing, guttering etc - as well as our shared fencing already mentioned! Thoughts?

• Highview Homes
    2 years ago

Dark Colours are best as they fade into the background giving you the deception of depth behind green leafy shrubs and trees. The darker the better but if you already have monument I suggest you stick with it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.