jstephens72

What is the best use of money to update this home’s curb appealy

Julie Waids
6 years ago
Looking to update the exterior and considering a few possibilities. Any thoughts on the best use of our money. Here are a few things we’re
considering...

1. Painting the brick
2. Updating the shutters and painting shutters
3. Updating landscaping
4. Replacing windows
5. Replacing garage door

I’d love feedback on the best bang for our buck! We will rent for a year, so do not want to “over improve,” but want it to have a good first impression. Open to any/all suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• Denita
    6 years ago

Are you the owner or the tenant?

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

The improvement things on your list sound like you are the homeowner. If you are the tenant, then STOP....and save your money for your own home.

• Julie Waids
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    To clarify, we are the owners and will lease the property.
  • krff
    6 years ago

Lift the canopy on the large trees so you can see the house. Either trim to lower the hedges or Remove the low layer of greenery near the entry & under the windows. Maybe plant low annual color to draw attention. Leave the brick alone but paint the existing shutters if they’re in good shape. This will open up the front of your house a lot.

Julie Waids thanked krff
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

improve the grass in the foreground or replace it with a ground cover suitable to the amount of water and light it gets. bright flowers near the steps. then make sure the bathrooms arent grotty. renters will be pleased as can be.

Julie Waids thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    Prune back the landscaping. But if you are the renter, then nothing.
    Julie Waids thanked Melissa Gallagher
  • Jan Accardo
    6 years ago
    Paint front door a lighter shade, replace with some colorful plants next to the door. A pretty sidewalk to welcome visitors all the way to the street would be effective and cut out the big trees to open up the view to the house.
    Julie Waids thanked Jan Accardo
  • charaj00
    6 years ago
    Assuming you already updated the interior, trim lower branches to make the house easier to find. Plant grass seed and trim shrubs. If wood trim is in decent condition, paint it. Black trim with brick is classic. If not, replace it. White flowering shrubs to lighten the front.
    Julie Waids thanked charaj00
  • Julie Waids
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does anyone know of a website that would allow me to view different paint colors/shutters on the home? Thinking of a creamy white or beige if we opt to paint the brick.

• Denita
    6 years ago

Why would you paint the brick? It would add maintenance to your home and that is counterproductive when turning it into a rental property. The brick looks fine as far as what can be seen in the photo you posted.

• acm
    6 years ago

I would probably ditch the shutters and brighten the paint color on the front door (after you trim all the trees and bushes)...

• shirlpp
    6 years ago

The best thing about your house is the color of the brick. It needs nothing.

• PRO
    Reach Design
    6 years ago

Usually paining the brick will turn it into the maintenance nightmare. The mortar will start retaining water and deteriorating and you'll be looking at a very expensive repointing job in a few years. Brick is the "no maintenance" siting material, why mess with that... I agree with people that say landscaping. You can barely see the house now. But if you are in a hot area... then maybe it's a good thing....

• Elizabeth Carmody
    11 months ago

The brick is a lovely color, I would not paint it.
    Paint shutters and front door
    Trim back all your trees, plant a few flowering shrubs, remove all the old ugly bushes.
    Work on getting lawn healthy.
    Remove privacy fence

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.