a_rainbow

Wanted: metal continuous soffit vent

a_rainbow
11 years ago
I am struggling on locating! I just love the linear look it gives. Hubby is wanting the hat style. Tamlyn has a perforated VINYL hat vent which is everything I want but it's not metal.

Other manus??

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    baumer...nothing local? We have metal linear soffit vent in our local builder's supply. What about painting the Tamlyn in a metal finish? Or using it as a design element and painting barn red? These guys in SoCal make it...don't know if they will ship to AK...but they may have a more local distributor? http://www.cjmetals.com/
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks ironwoods.

I thought about painting in metallic actually. Didnt know if there were products to really look metal but I could just call and get those options. i have so much work on siding to accomplish I'd like to eliminate paint. But I tend to do whatever it takes to get what I want! Can't be too picky sometimes.

In fairbanks, Alaska, we have box stores and then we have our local building suppliers which carry very standard stuff. Anything special or specific, is ordered usually from Washington. It's been only way to get what I want thus far. Even very standard stuff in states, can end up being a special order for us.

My building supplier I work with, says anything from Washington... He can get!
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Did that paste right? They have a molten metallic line in their studio category :-) have yet to call Sherwins. They have been my whole house paint joint. :-) but I think there are a lot of great manus.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    baumer, I've been offline for a while, finishing an estimate and supporting documents for a potential client. I checked the spec (what there was of it) and didn't see anything about adhering to vinyl. Rockin' Fine Finishes, one of our houzzers, has a prep and finish solution for vinyl...try discussing it with him. How soon do you need the vent material? I'd bet your building supplier can get it for you in metal. BTW, on your other post you talked about carrying your underfloor radiant outside to your entry/deck tile....I think you should talk to the radiant flooring company to see what they say about doing that zone from the existing boiler.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    There's a product here in Washington called alloy bond and it looks metallic I guess as any paint product will what color are you thinking it comes in copper stainless black and I think three other colors ?
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks ironwood! We haven't installed underfloor quite yet as it's just the pex with plates into the 1-1/8 ply and running between the floor joists (rather than in concrete floor). So we can do it anytime and will probably do next summer. Putting in the deck outside I did hear FIL mention a separate zone for that one but he literally thru that out quick when I recently came up with tile idea out in entry. No one has done any research on that yet and we always do that first :-). Definitely something to look into before doing

The Tamlyn product PDF says in red letters:

Use light or pastel paint colors only on Tamlyn PVC or Sherwin-Williams Vinyl Safe™Paint. Use of dark color paint will cause deformation. Tamlyn vinyl products are not warranted if painted with dark color paint.

Sherwin is my paint "guy" but they must have some kind of team thing going on like kraft macaroni noodles specifying kraft chedder cheese. I am sure other companies must offer a vinyl safe product in a metallic? I mean in this day and age.. Sherwin has metallic but it's not the same. It doesn't have same effect.

I didn't even think to look on the studio molten metallic to see if it was vinyl safe. Im such a dope. too much going on I suppose. Siding- quantity and waste, colors, soffits, reveals... lions, tigers, and bears, OH MY!
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    You said soffits will this venting ever see sun ?
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    It's the sun the warps vinyl that's been painted and extreme heat
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We are siding this summer so ignore the white sun turned yellow foam. Soffits are under shed style roofs. I can't see them getting any direct sunlight...
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It's sideways. Sorry. I was looking up and cam was angled. Horrible pic.

Taken a couple months ago...
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    The reason they ask for vinyl safe paint there's nothing special about it it's the removal of certain colorants for instance if want black no way that's happening so to make vinyl look like metal is a long shot but you can choose a color like silver or a light gray that would work what color where you thinking ?
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Silver.

I found studio line by BM... Molten metallics. But not sure if its vinyl safe. I can see me calling local store "we don't get that line in fairbanks"... Haha!

I have so much to accomplish with babies I'm overwhelmed!!!

Can I snap my fingers and say "poof"??
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    11 years ago
    Remember it's not the kind of paint you use it's the colorants as long as there isn't black and umber in the paint you are probably good and also check to see if its acrylic
  • a_rainbow
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Awesome. And that's easy enough to just ask for the formula. I've done that before.

Thanks!
  • PRO
    Nill Construction Inc
    3 years ago

tamlyn has both pvc and aluminum linear strip vents

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.