clairef09

Kitchens ready..splash back or tile??

clairef09
7 years ago
Hi everyone, our kitchen is (FINALLY) fitted and we are just putting finishing touches on now. The upstand we previously had bought isn't quite colour perfect against worktop so we need to find something else to protect back wall. There is no wall units going in as we have more than enough storage.

What splash back would work best in this colour scheme/style? Or what about tiles? Not 100% sure what to go for at this point and would appreciate any advice!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    The London Craftsman
    7 years ago
    Have you seen spangled galvanised steel sheeting?
    Amazing material, very cheap and looks great!
    Also very simple to install.
    I have installed this in a number of refurb projects including my own and is always a talking point when I have visitors.
    I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks Ryan
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Ryan, no we haven't considered that before but I'm not sure there is anyone in my area that does that. Looks great though.
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the 'wrong coloured' upstand we have. My other half seems to think it actually looks ok. What do you think?
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Did you not order the upstands at the same time as the worktop in the same colour?
  • PRO
    The London Craftsman
    7 years ago
    You can buy it cut to size from online metal websites and really simple to cut out for the sockets.
    To fix to the wall is as simple as silicone or grip fill.

I can't see anything wrong with the upstand in your picture but I think you could add a bit of "bling" with a splashback of some kind.
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    The upstand doesn't look as though it's a standard height. It looks smaller but from the photo I can't see a lot of difference. What about coloured glass upstands. You can have any RAL colour and also a splashback.
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    There wasn't an upstand available in the worktop we ordered but I found an almost identical worktop in a competitors site that had a matching upstand so I ordered it in the hope it would work! It hasn't been cut or anything that is how it's come. It's maybe a slightly creamier white but it looks more obvious at various times of the day.
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    A close up!
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Was thinking maybe a black or stainless steel splash back? Would that work?
  • PRO
    White Rabbit Interiors
    7 years ago
    Hi Claire, here are some ideas how to address this wall, options of colours and finishes are endless ...
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    You could have had a 665 mm wide breakfast bar worktop and cut off the back creating an upstand if they didn't offer one in the colour you originally had. That's what we offer to do for customers.
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks Rabbit interiors! you've got a great eye!

Yep DaisyEngland - hindsight is a great thing!
  • Della Lawrence
    7 years ago
    We've just done ours with white sparkle glass
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

Hello

We love your kitchen.

We came across a product from Xylo Cleaf that is 19 cm thick and come in a gloss finish that we are specifying for one of our clients' kitchen. It doubles as un up stand and splash back due to its thickness.

http://www.xylocleaf.com/products/panels/kristall/

You could combine these at the top of base for some awesome lighting:

Best,

Us

• PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi Claire, glass will look really sleek and modern with your kitchen units... here are some we've supplied and installed....

• clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    The glass looks great in the images you've shared, thank you Croydon WC. Definitely food for thought.
  • Fiona Tamplin
    7 years ago
    Definitely glass, keep it sleek, really easy to clean...colour match to the cupboards and then go a couple of shades lighter. You maybe able to get away with Perspex so you get the glass look but much cheaper, you just need to check if it can go behind your hob.
  • headers13
    7 years ago

Glass not tiles definitely.

• Harriet
    7 years ago
    I'd go for tiles. big ones that go far up the wall....but not all the way.
    I'd add gradient too, in finish rather than colour.
    The effect would be matt finish low down, changing gradually to gloss at the top. That way you'll get good light reflection higher up.
  • Daisy England
    7 years ago
    Glass. Not tiles. It a shame to glue tiles on a newly plastered wall. The glass in the photos offered looks great.
  • Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    London Craftsman: I love the look of the spangled steel sheeting. Would you have a picture of it in place? And how does it perform behind an induction hob please?
  • PRO
    James Lynn Decorator
    7 years ago

Do not tile that whatever you do.

• PRO
    The London Craftsman
    7 years ago
    Hi dundrum16.
    The photos don't really do it justice as its an amazing material.
    I wanted to use something different from the usual Glass or acrylic splashbacks everyone uses and very glad I did.

Tbh I'm not sure about the induction hob. I would just contact the manufacturer and ask or look at the specs of it online.
    I hope this helps

Thanks Ryan
  • hunnyshooga
    7 years ago

Metro tiles

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago

Thanks Ryan. Looks well!

• PRO
    Walls to the floor
    7 years ago
    Microcement!

We trowel it onto almost any surface and it's seamless. 3mm thick, waterproof, highly durable (it's used for floors also) Matt, Satin or Gloss.

www.wallstothefloor.com

good luck!
  • PRO
    DAG Inter ltd
    7 years ago
    Have you thought about using tinted mirrors?
  • clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for all suggestions. Fiona that is a good idea also - i'll have a look around. I particularly love your idea Planetharrywood of the gradual effect! Do you know where I could buy something to replicate this?

Love the micro cement idea as well - pity you don't live closer!

DAG Inter - i LOVE the idea of mirrors but backed away from the idea after being told about how much it is likely to cost! I think i perhaps should get a real quote though.

Is there any software or perhaps even websites with samples that i could order to try and mimic some looks? Finding it hard to wind down on a decision.

• PRO
    Walls to the floor
    7 years ago
    Where are you based out of interest Clairef09?
  • PRO
    Alguacil & Perkoff Ltd.
    7 years ago

Have you considered silver antiqued mirrors for your splash back?

• clairef09
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I am based in the Highlands of Scotland!

I am thinking that a marble effect tile might work. I came across these from another Houzzer - what do you all think? Would it match my kitchen? http://www.porcel-thin.com/tile-collections/carrara-marble-st9/ 

• Kerem kilicay
    7 years ago

If I were you I'd go for tiles - cleaner, prettier, livelier. we got these for out kitchen two weeks ago and I'm super pleased with them. colourful hexagon tiles

they turned out like this

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.