dawn_wilsonhorne

Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Dawn Wilson Horne
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Thinking of painting kitchen cabinets to white or off white...any ideas?

Comments (31)

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks! But, I think I am going to paint them and get a new back splash.

• acm
    7 years ago

Given all that ornate molding on the doors, you're probably going to need a sprayer to get a decent outcome, so talk to some pros about prices.

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I am. I have the name and number of one that was recommended.

Thanks!

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

I wouldn't paint either.

If there was damage to the finish I would pull a color out of a finish that is staying like the the counter or floor to paint. One sees quite a number of white kitchens with dingy looking counters when all that was needed to make the kitchen look right was to consider the counter color. If a color is bright enough most people will call it white!

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, but I am still debating painting and I am not changing my granite. Definitely getting rid of the microwave and a new back splash. My cabinets are not out of style??

• Melissa R
    7 years ago

Go for it. You are hiring out the painter? If not, I can give you tips on painting yourself. I went with white white (SW Pure White) for my kitchen. I didn't want an off white or cream. The popular Dove Grey that everyone recommends was way way too grey for me=more of a cool white. With your granite I would either go for a bright white or a white that leans warm.

Do a simple back splash. I know people are getting sick of subway but I think it's classic; you don't have to worry about it looking dated in a couple of years AAAND it's so cost effective! I did 40sf of 3x6 white subway tile for $215 and that included tile, mastic, grout, and schluter edge. There are also different ways you can lay subway tile that will give it a whole different look (and it's not just herringbone either)-google subway tile layout.

Remember in the end, it's just a kitchen. Choose something that you like and can afford. Don't go too crazy (I always keep resale value in mind to some extent).

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's exactly what I was thinking. I am going to SW today to get some samples of white. I think I like a warm white and I saw some great hardware at Restoration Hardware that would look great! I am having it done by my painter as I want it done right! Thanks for the feedback. All I have been reading and my realtor friend tells me my cabinets are outdated. I'm with you, I think resale! Thanks!

• Melissa R
    7 years ago

Good luck on the "white" hunt. Lorrrrrrd do they have a bazillion. In the end I asked the paint dude at Sherwin Williams what white are most painters painting kitchen cabinets. He was the one, without hesitation, said Pure White lol. I went with it and was glad to be done. White is white, it's just a kitchen. For you just stay away from the cooler/grey'ish whites and you will be fine.

As far as outdated? I think your back splash is what's making the kitchen look dated. I mean a cabinet is a cabinet. Yours aren't the 50's metal cabinets or the 80's lacquered cabinets so how exactly are they dated looking? It's a wood box. I know they still make cabinets today with your top arch. I think most people are going shaker style cabinets now but... it's a box. White will "update it" and so will a new back splash.

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My friend is an interior decorator and I have a friend who is a realtor and they both told me Oak Cabinets are out dated. I have been in my house for over 15 years and never updated, so I think it's time. I'm not looking forward to looking at all the whites! I don't want too white, but we will see! Thanks!

• wsea
    7 years ago

I'm not sure those are oak cabinets. I really think new backsplash and countertops would be a much better investments.

• S Atkin23
    7 years ago
    When I first looked at this pic I said the backsplash needs to go and the handles on the cabinet need updating as well. I think the cabinets aren't bad. But if u have the finance and wants to remodel ur kitchen then it's ur choice.
  • izeve
    7 years ago

Your cabinets are not oak. If anything needs changing in your kitchen, it's the backsplash and the hardware. But if you feel like you also need a change with respect to the cabinets, go for it!

• PRO
    Shearer Painting
    7 years ago
    I might suggest the color Dove white from Benjamin Moore with the range and micro wave. Attaching pictures of a cabinet we just finished.
  • Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry, they are Maple. This is very confusing because I am being told many different things. Thanks for all your advice

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

Usually when I see before and afters of people painting their cabinets I am not impressed...mostly because I think people are going too white...like stark white...especially when they are keeping their existing dark or warm granite. Recently on a different thread (of course I can't find it now but I will keep looking) a PRO recommended Shoji White and I thought it turned out beautiful. Worth picking up a sample to see how it looks with your granite:)

• acm
    7 years ago

Painted Oak Cabinets · More Info
    Just be sure you pick a color that goes with your darker counters -- too white will be too stark here. Also depends a bit on the flooring in the kitchen.

• Kathy Yata
    7 years ago

Outdated isn't a reason to paint sound beautiful cabinets. Paint cabinets in poor condition or ones that are so awful it makes you hate to work in the kitchen or clash with that new flooring just installed throughout the living area.

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you and I agree! I have decided not to paint the cabinets. Thanks for all your help everyone.

• Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Ok..going back to painting my cabinets..Any suggestions on paint color?

• kjoy1
    7 years ago

You are funny:) It is a hard decision isn't it! I found that thread I was talking about...poster used shoji white to paint her cabinets...here is the thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/backsplash-too-gray-dsvw-vd~4267988?n=77

And the before and after

• PRO
    WW Love Your Home
    7 years ago

Hi Dawn, this is not a DIY project. If you attempt to do it yourself the kitchen will be ruined. If you want to have this painted properly, the wood will need to be sanded down, spray primed and spray painted. Not sure if you want to go to that extent? In the end your kitchen can look great with the right person (man or woman) doing the job.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

WW, she isn't doing them herself. She will be hiring a painter.

Dawn, paint them. They aren't some rare wood species. They're blah. paint and new backsplash will transform your space. you posted two identical pictures. how bout one a little further back and one showing the color of the granite and the flooring?

if you want bright white, and want Sherwin Williams, make sure you use the ProClassic line in plain, untinted white. Yes it works. no added tint. It's nice and white. Personally, I prefer BM Advance paint for painting wood. But SW is ok.

If you do want an undertone, stay away from the gray tones. find one w/a tan undertone or yellow.

these give you the idea of what happens when they tint the base

if I could see the rest of your space, we could advise you better

• Audra
    7 years ago
    I. not sure what colors you have throughout your hosue but this is what I suggested for my parents that have very similar style cabinets. they have darker gray tile. but I really like the two colors and neutral but textured backsplash
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    7 years ago

Ok you pay $3500 to have them painted to find out they use trim paint and now with the first change of temp you have cracks at all the panels to frames. You do not have the outdated oak wood cabinets you have a nice neutral color wood.

I build and also paint cabinets and will tell you unless it is a temporary get you through a couple years job don't do it. When building cabinets that are paint grade different techniques and materials are used. If you have a farmhouse look where wear actually accents your design the go ahead.

I would spend the cash on new counters, backsplash and hardware. All of which will need to be done anyway. Go look at a job they have done and you will understand there will always be something that shows they were painted afterward.

• Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    I like the color of your wood cabinets now--just not the style. I'm not sure white paint would make them more "in style" or not. But you could have them painted and then down the road replaced if you don't like it or they start to look worn or cracked.
  • tatts
    7 years ago

I wouldn't paint them. Maple is great and a beautiful wood. Maple makes its of statement. With paint, they may as well be cheap MDF.

What I would do is replace the doors and drawer fronts. That style is really dated (whether painted or not). Replace them with shaker doors. Replacing the doors is easy and not expensive--probably cheaper (and more durable) that a professional paint job. I ordered mine through Lowes. Take a door with you to see how they match (I did my own finishing on oak).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 years ago

Replacing the drawers/doors would be a considerable expense and very difficult to match the existing stain of the boxes. OP doesn't like the color, so why get new ones (even if they are updated)? she might as well just spring for the extra and get new cabs altogether. I'm sure yours in unfinished oak costs a lot less then hers would be in finished maple. The cinnamon color stain is very dated.

Maybe OP could remove a few of the center panels and replace them with glass. that would solve the dated issue and the center panel cracking issue.

• bouncy5
    7 years ago
    I like the style of your cabinets . So what if some people think they are dated . I'm so tired of everything having to be changed because some people think they are dated. If you like the style and would prefer them white ,go for it.
  • Stacey
    7 years ago
    New brushed aluminum egg shaped knobs. . Clear off the counters. New backsplash and counter. Cabinets are beautiful.
  • Dawn Wilson Horne
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I am keeping the cabinets..New backsplash, new knobs, removing microwave with new range hood and my kitchen will be complete. I will post when done. Thanks again!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.