tommyflan

What's your favourite Christmas film?

Tom Flanagan
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

One of the great things about Christmas is the pleasure of revisiting a few festive classics on the big screen! The likes of Home Alone, Love Actually all resurface at this time of year.

But which one is your favourite? I'll start things off - you can't beat the menace and pessimism of The Grinch!

A perfectly pale interior with Nordic influences · More Info

Comments (59)

• pixiegeaves
    7 years ago

Elf definitely

• ali270
    7 years ago
    It's a Wonderful Life ....we have watched it every Christmas for as long as I can remember and never tire of it .
  • Maggie Stephens
    7 years ago

It has to be The Holiday!

• lola4723
    7 years ago
    The Holiday
  • annroe47
    7 years ago

Selfish Giant by Oscar Wilde and miracle on 32nd street Black and White version

• Jo Mitchell
    7 years ago
    White Christmas
  • Clare Jones
    7 years ago
    'Scrooge' starring Alistair Sim & 'It's a Wonderful Life'. I watch them every year and never tire of them.
  • Hil
    7 years ago
    Miracle on 34th street - I could watch it ALL YEAR ROUND
  • Andrea Jones
    7 years ago
    miracle on 34th street
  • scharn22
    7 years ago
    A Christmas Story (1983)
  • ruthpw
    7 years ago

Meet me in St Louis

• Sonia
    7 years ago

Elf to make me laugh, and It's a Wonderful Life to make me cry and realise what I've got

• soozmacrae
    7 years ago

Home Alone 1 an 2.

• rzanuk
    7 years ago

Bad Santa.

• carole_fordham1
    7 years ago
    Love actually
  • Sarah Foxx
    7 years ago
    Wizard of oz, the polar express
  • lorraine_mccullough54
    7 years ago

It's a Wonderful World is my favourite---corny and dated perhaps but it never fails to stop me being an exhausted,cynical grinch.

• anniec22
    7 years ago
    Love Actually
  • Angela Munroe
    7 years ago

Definitely The Snowman!

• Maggie Stephens
    7 years ago

Tim Burtons Nightmare Before Christmas?

• PRO
    Design Spec Ltd
    7 years ago

It's got to be Home Alone 2!

With The Grinch close behind...

• lilimac
    7 years ago
    You can't beat the old classics and one I watch every year is The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant as a very dashing angel and David Niven as the bishop.

Another one I never tire of is Meet Me in St Louis, which isn't strictly a Christmas film but I always watch at this time of year, as it has Judy Garland singing the original and best version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It always makes me cry! Not sure if that's a good thing....
  • headers13
    7 years ago

Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation - laugh everytime.

• Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    The Holiday, although it makes me home sick and long to be back in the villages/towns where I grew up.
  • Doe Stewart
    7 years ago
    The Bishops Wife and Its a wonderful life - fab films
  • carole_beard6
    7 years ago

Come on - what about The Sound of Music!!!????

• Shelly Anne
    7 years ago

It's a Wonderful Life takes no 1, but my list of fav Christmas films is so long I'd be typing all night if I had to name them all. One question though, many people have named 'The Holiday' but I've never heard of it, can anyone tell me about it (who's in it, when was it made etc) as I'm really surprised I haven't come across it before.

• Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    The Holiday features Kate Winslet, Cameron Diaz, Jude Law and Jack Black. Winslet and Diaz swap houses for the holidays. Not sure but it must have been made about 10-12years ago, my mother and grandfather got confused, when on an sunny August day they came across a road full of snow just outside of our village.
  • Shelly Anne
    7 years ago

Thanks Laura Ford-Thomas, I don't know how this one passed me by, though life was pretty hectic round about that time. I'll have to track down a copy and watch it

• Jane Bateman
    7 years ago

Bad Santa! Even looking forward to seeing the sequel.

• PRO
    Building Tectonics Ltd
    7 years ago

Some of our favourites in the office are:

- The Holiday
    - Miracle on 34th Street
    - Elf
    - A Christmas Tale
    - Home Alone

• andreaozment
    7 years ago

"Bell, Book and Candle" has beautiful scenes of New York City at Christmas; it's one of my favorite movies, and it always seems Christmas-y to me. And of course I love "A Christmas Story," "Miracle on 34th Street," "The Snowman," and for uncontrollable laughter every time, "Home Alone."

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago
    Elf, The Polar Express and The snowman. These are my faves.
  • PRO
    Ruth Turner Interior Design Ltd
    7 years ago

Has to be Elf! So funny

• PRO
    The Stair Guru
    7 years ago

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation always cracks me up, I watch it every Christmas Eve

• sukiharrison
    7 years ago
    miracle on 34th street followed by Muppets Christmas Carol.
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I watch The Holiday at any time of the year :) Elf and Home Alone definitely get watched as do some of the classics and I'm going to add Bridget Jones to the list. I don't know how the Bishop's Wife has passed me by as I love Cary Grant (I normally insist that my husband leaves me alone on a day to blub in private over An Affair to Remember!). I'm sure it does me good as I'm not normally a teary person!

• Debbie Byard
    7 years ago
    White Christmas with Bing Crosby can't beat it, it was always on over Christmas and when I was 13 (many years ago) I was watching it on Christmas Eve and it actually snowed, truly magical.
  • Shelley Maniovich
    7 years ago

It's tough to pick but Scrooge, Home Alone, and the Grinch are my favourite!

• PRO
    The Stair Guru
    7 years ago
    Thinking further about this, Scrooged and Its a wonderful life are up there too
  • E D
    7 years ago
    Elf.
  • peachypear
    7 years ago
    The Family Stone, gorgeous New England drama/comedy with a host of fantastic actors.
  • slimberley
    7 years ago
    Can't believe Nativity hasn't been mentioned yet. Elf, Love Actually, It's a Wonderful Life and I have a soft spot for Santa Claus The Movie with Dudley Moore as it was always on on Christmas Eve in the late 80s and reminds me being a kid and getting the house ready for our huge Christmas Eve party every year.
  • E D
    7 years ago
    I thought the question was: which ONE is your favourite...
    ;)
  • PRO
    Inkmill Vinyl
    7 years ago

Elf!

• janine woolford
    7 years ago

Has to be It's a Wonderful Life. We've watched it every year for 40 at least, much to my childrens disgust, but last year my daughter really got it for the first time, so maybe this means you have to be a grown-up to fully understand what is so wonderful about it. A film that really makes you value what you have and realise that how you live is much more important than all the riches in the world.

• PRO
    Saltbox Interiors London
    7 years ago

A Christmas Story! Doesn't get much traction over here in the UK but growing up in the US, it was a classic. The leg lamp. . .come on, designers! :)

• tajo39
    7 years ago

The Holiday definitely

• pialouise1967
    7 years ago
    Bad Santa , sooooo rude
  • mldoran
    7 years ago

The Family Stone, its almost become a Christmas tradition to watch this.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.