mari_fflur

Pipes in kitchen - problem for designer or fitter?

Mari Wiliams
7 years ago

Can someone help me with a daft question about fitting kitchens, please?

We're doing up the kitchen, which will involve replastering and laying a new floor, and may involve moving utility pipes.

We're currently finalising our kitchen design. The main contractor will be responsible for fitting as the kitchen company is 150 miles away.

My question: does the designer need to know the exact location of the utility pipes so they can cut holes in advance, or is cutting the holes something the fitter would do? What's the norm with these things?

What with the renovation work, I'm afraid that the pipes won't be in quite the same position relative to the floors and walls.

(I'm asking the designer the same question but thought I would canvas a wider audience just in case!)

Thanks all :)

Comments (6)

• PRO
    re-decorate
    7 years ago

The designer designs and plans, the fitter fits to those specifications. But there must always be a dialogue between them to make sure that plans can be carried out.

Its easy for us designers to plan something on paper only to find a lump of concrete in the way, or drainage issues etc.

Arrange a site visit for the fitter and designer to talk it through.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    ...In add to that brill advice - your fitter will be most likely to undertake of any cutting of furniture around pipes - unless you have ordered a cabinet at a reduced depth to allow for pipework of a larger size ( like a soil pipe)
  • PRO
    Simon Fink Kitchens
    7 years ago

Good advice so far from fellow professionals!

I'd add (but perhaps too late for you) that it's an extremely good idea to have the firm that is supplying the kitchen install it too. It prevents the almost inevitable argument between supplier and fitter as to who is to blame when something won't fit, came damaged or is of poor design.

• A S
    7 years ago
    get your designer to design your kitchen and confirm the plans with your contractor.
  • Mari Wiliams
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. Unfortunately the designer can't install the kitchen or indeed come to the site, but otherwise all very useful!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.