tommyflan

POLL: Loft conversion or cosy attic space?

Tom Flanagan
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

There's something cosy and a little bit magical about an attic (think reading space) but equally it can be great to go for a total loft conversion and create a whole new living area!

So, which would you go for - a little attic space or a larger loft conversion?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago

It would depend on existing house/household size, your budget etc. I would go for full-on extension in order to maximise potential space, but if on a smaller budget or already satisfied with the size of your home, a little nook to work or read in would be idyllic.

• soapandglory
    7 years ago

small and cosy chill out room filled with fairy lights cushions and throws to snuggle up in, a get away from daily life to relax

• Hilary Brumley
    7 years ago
    The idea of a bohemian reading nook appeals in soooo many ways (especially with darker warm and cosy or jewelled colours) but there are some factors to consider:
    1. How often would it ACTUALLY be used as such?
    2. Who is going to use it?
    3. Will they keep it clutter free and cosy or will it become a magnet for stuff that doesn't go elsewhere?
    If the likelihood is you are staying in your home for a good while to come and feel it would be well utilised, then go for it. If not, property value and function have to be considered. A prospective buyer is always looking for a functional and clearly defined space. This is where your conversion option may prove a winner. That's not to say that it couldn't be a cosy area where you tend to read but I think the focus of the room would be different and multi-purpose. If you're having a conversion done though, get a few quotes and sketches from reputable tradesmen before making any decisions.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I think the new loft is more practical.....and warm!

• PRO
    The Loft Converter (city) Ltd
    7 years ago

We find that our clients love loft conversions.

• PRO
    GEC Luxury Design & Build
    7 years ago

Loft conversion every time as its designed to the users needs

• PRO
    Oli & Grace
    7 years ago

Loft conversions for me

• PRO
    St Peter Total Building Solutions Ltd
    7 years ago

Amazing use of

Loft Conversions · More Info

- great conversions.

• PRO
    Dms Property Solutions
    7 years ago

The loft conversion looks more the part to me.

• PRO
    Walsh Lofts
    7 years ago

good work

• PRO
    GEC Luxury Design & Build
    7 years ago

This is a recent loft conversion carried out by us to a very high standard . Its a really good use of a small space comprising of a bedroom and ensuite

• PRO
    East London Lofts Ltd
    7 years ago

Create more space and ad value to your property.

• PRO
    PJH DESIGN
    7 years ago

nice bright space!

• PRO
    Design Image Architectural Services
    7 years ago

we prefer conversion as it frees up available space which is otherwise unused.

• PRO
    Loft Conversion London
    7 years ago

We prefer a loft conversion as it creates more useful space

• PRO
    none
    7 years ago

Loft conversations generally add both monetary
    value to the property as well as additional space that cosy just can’t compete
    with. To give balance, slippers are always a cosy option!

• PRO
    Wirral Builders
    7 years ago

We chose the attic because of the valued space and nice workmanship

• PRO
    PWJ Architects Ltd
    7 years ago

Depending on the property (and the budget), both options have their merits. A big loft space can be more easily converted to a room but often the structure or space isn't sufficient and an dormer or extension is needed.

This can offer a whole new floor to the building and with some imagination you can transform the property completely.

www.pwjarchitects.com

• PRO
    DRA Renovations
    7 years ago

would depend on the type of property

• PRO
    NDM Architects
    7 years ago

Loft conversions are a fantastic way of creating additional rooms and family space without blowing the budget or having to move home

• PRO
    Marval Developments
    7 years ago

If you need more bedrooms extend in to the loft. if you need more living space, extended into basement/sidereturn/garden. If you add bedrooms to your house you increase the value and therefore can offset some of your costs. Adding more living space does not always increase value as much.

• PRO
    Huw Griffiths Architects
    7 years ago

Great way to maximise usable space at relatively low cost!

• PRO
    Central Lofts & Extensions
    4 years ago

Yes, we vote for loft conversions. But if you are concerned about the cost, then there are some options too!!

• PRO
    We Love Build
    4 years ago

very difficult to make our minds up!! great ideas

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.