tuvster2009

tuvster2009
12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
Dark Wood panels, floor to ceiling. We love our new house but the wooden panels in our living room is giving me nightmares. It looks dated and makes for a "heavy" feel .
Suggestions/picture and ideas are warmly appreciated.
Could I just paint the wood?

Comments (49)

• bepsf
    12 years ago
    Lots of folks paint their 70's wood paneling - but you need to use a good primer first.
  • PRO
    Bud Dietrich, AIA
    12 years ago
    What kind of wood is it? Is every wall paneled? Though you can easily paint the wood it might be nice if it's an accent wall or you can refinish it. Sometimes just a good wood cleaner will lighten it up to its original condition. We could be more specific if you provide some photos.
  • Related Discussions

Redecoration Help?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hippy Style, Okay. Add beaded curtains over the windows with a pull down shade underneath for privacy. Bright colors will work. On one feature wall paint a background color and the do some hippy graffiti.....Add words like Love, Peace, Groovy, Beattles, Rolling Stone, No War, paint bold flowers and a peace sign of course!
    ...See More

Bay Windows - Privacy

Q

Comments (4)
    What about blinds which raise up from the base of the window, partially or totally raise as suits? There are some gorgeous lace panels around (NOT talking nets here!) - try Anthology perhaps, or even La Redoute who have some 'v' bottomed ones amongst others? Bee
    ...See More

Advice on Kitchen/Utility renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi - its such a big and important project, i really think you need to sit down with a good kitchen designer and fully tease out your requirements and then look at every possible layout option. by sitting down with someone, they will draw each possible layout to scale in front of you and that way you will be able to see the pros and cons of each design. it makes decision making much easier best of luck with the project Barry
    ...See More

Sideboard accessorising/dining area

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi there, I have a open plan living/dining /kitchen. The shape is narrowish L shape with the dining area in the middle. I have a sideboard opposite the dining table. I have two questions. 1.how do I stop this area feeling like a walkway instead if it’s own space, and 2. How do I accessories my sideboard well. Ie lamps etc. Thank you!
    ...See More
  • tuvster2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks, attached are two pictures from the house listing as per the agent.
    I quite like the beams and the fireplace as it is. Maybe a new mantel is due though. If we do paint the panels do we then also paint the built-ins too ?
  • tuvster2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    I have no idea as to what kind of wood this is
  • tuvster2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Do we maybe just get rid of the built-ins completely ....
  • PRO
    Bud Dietrich, AIA
    12 years ago
    It's a really nice room and the wood adds a lot so I definitely wouldn't paint it. You'll have to do some patching / repairing if you remove the built-ins so maybe just leave them. So I'd do clean the wood - it will probably lighten up a bit with a good wood cleaner. Tough to tell from the photos but, yeah, a new mantel, new window treatments and new floor finish. Would be nice to go with something other than wall to wall for the floor and there's enough wood so you probably don't want that so maybe a nice stone material.

And the cheesy fan should definitely go.
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    I concur w/ Bud - I wouldn't paint the room, but if you did you'd need to do the whole thing, builtins and all.

I suspect when the previous owner's furniture leaves - including that additional freestanding wall unit on the wall to the left of the fireplace - and you remove the venetial blinds from the windows and let the sun in, the room will feel brighter and more open.
  • Kim Alexander
    12 years ago
    what about just painting the beams on the ceiling?
  • mharper58
    12 years ago
    I painted mine and love it. I have before and after pictures.
  • PRO
    Given Campbell
    12 years ago
    The paneling looks to be oak and real. I am a fan of tossing dated stuff but I think you could work around it so definitely, I would not paint it. I would paint the brick around the fireplace, get rid of that god awful metal front and a new mantel. Take down the fan and paint the insides of the built-ins. Can also paint the ceiling between the beams a beautiful Ben Moore cream color to make it feel fresh.
  • Shannon Hope
    12 years ago
    I painted a client's paneling to help sale their home.
  • Mackenzie Clarke
    12 years ago
    I would absolutely paint the built-ins in a light tone and leave the ceilings beams as they are currently. You can also update all the hardware on the built-ins to achieve a relatively simple update!
  • josefrag
    12 years ago
    what about covering the bricks with some kind of travertine or other lighter stone/tile.. with simple mantel and paint out the ceiling beams as previously mentioned... make sure to decorate without any more wood.. and depending on budget consider lightening the wood walls... just a thought
  • josefrag
    12 years ago
    well forget that.. just saw the painted wall photo.. looks good..
  • Shannon Hope
    12 years ago
    I also opted to paint the panelled inserts of a wall in a house I owned with a faux finish to add a little bit of something.
  • tedkielley
    12 years ago
    you could have all the woodwork stripped and re-stained a much brighter tone, maybe a contrasting bamboo floor...and most definitely lose the fan...
  • magdiego
    12 years ago
    If you don't want to paint the wood paneling, you might at least paint the back of the shelves a creamy white or beige. Also, I'd hang some light color panels around the windows - it'll soften all that wood to some degree.
  • Brandy Allen
    12 years ago
    Wow, great room! There is a lot of things you could do. To lighten the look I would paint most of the outer wood (wall paneling, mantel, etc) an antique look - cracked ivory or the aged cigar look and then scratch off some of the paint to show a bit of the wood. You could then paint the interior of the built ins a darker light green (without showing the wood through) - would give it some depth. I would leave the ceiling beams natural - they are amazing and actually open up the room by drawing your eye up to the darker color.
    Flowy curtains over the windows in a mustard yellow would definitely bring some more light into the room.
    The long table behind the sofa should be painted an antique black to make it pop.
    Man would I love to come over and help! :-) Can't wait to see what you do with it!!
  • Brandy Allen
    12 years ago
    Another idea for the back of the built ins - take a thin sheet of plywood and a larger damascus (grey and yellow would be fabulous) fabric print with a thin layer of poly. Cut to fit in each built in, wrap and staple the fabric to and just slide in! Instant update and easy to change in the future!
  • Tanya Bruce
    12 years ago
    I would definitely paint the walls and the built-ins. The room looks dark now, but with the correct shade of paint it will look totally refreshed! The built-ins are super too. People pay a fortune to have them custom made. Maybe consider painting the walls and built-ins one color and the ceiling beams another, or just leave the ceiling beams their natural color. (I like your ceiling fan too. If you don't particularily like the one that you have then maybe consider a newer one. They're fairly cheap and they serve a great purpose for heating and cooling. I hope it all comes together for you!

• Brooke W
    12 years ago
    I love the wood, and it doesn't appear to be cheap paneling either - it's beautiful! Embrace it. Ditch the ugly fan and get something with good lighting that is eye catching and suits the room. I also think a new mantel is in order. I'm not loving the pale carpet because it is impossible to keep clean unless you don't walk on it ;-) But not sure what to suggest, definitely not more wood, unless you put down a huge rug over it. Is that a mirror or a pass through in the 2nd image? If it's a mirror you might think about taking it down and painting the wall for some color. The shelves in the built in do look dark, you could counter that by using light frames or other items. I have a similar setup in my home but the previous idiot owner painted most of the wood in the living area. I'll be painting the inside of my built ins a peacock blue and the remaining wood will match the painted wood. Don't paint the wood!
  • jbarnes3
    12 years ago
    We inherited birch paneling in our living room when we purchased our house -- I wanted to paint it, but my husband really wanted to keep it natural, so this is what ours looks like. We have changed out the ceiling fan since I took this picture, and changed the red chair to a brown leather club chair. We will be putting in wood floors in the next 6 months (hope that is not too much wood though).
  • crystalbeachmom
    12 years ago
    Paint, paint, paint! Paint the walls, the ceiling, the beams. Remove the blinds. Maybe not the built ins. See how the room looks then decide. The whole fireplace needs to be updated with perhaps a veneer of limestone or granite tiles. And a new mantel.
  • Barbara Centofante
    12 years ago
    I love wood so I would never paint it. The room will lighten up with the furniture, window coverings, mirrors, art work, etc. you use.
  • PRO
    Bud Dietrich, AIA
    12 years ago
    This whole conversation reminds me of our first house. An 1880's townhouse that had beautiful wood doors, beams, paneling, built-ins, etc. I can still smell the paint stripper and feel the sore muscles from removing all that paint. But it was definitely worth it as there's nothing quite as warm and inviting as wood.

Getting rid of the fan and adding some recessed lighting will go a long way to fixing the room. Do that before touching the wood as you may find you feel a whole lot better about the room once there's some light in it.
  • tuvster2009
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks to all of you ! And wow!
    The pictures are as the previous owner left it.
    All furniture, blinds and fan are since long gone and I just have an empty shell ..... and not quite sure what to do with it.
    So all your suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Still a bit a loss though.... I understand that it would probably be a shame to get rid of/paint the panels but...... it really is not me .... and it just feels old.
    So I will have to ponder it for a bit longer I think.
    Please keep your ideas/suggestions/pictures coming!!
    Thanks again
  • Hilary
    12 years ago
    I would definitely NOT paint it. Natural wood is beautiful and the color is nice, what updates the room is your decor and lighting - what that room really needs is green - like a tree or two. Also, I would change the coffee table and blue chair before ever touching the wood. Much cheaper to update your chair or put new lighter fabric and then try a coffee table that isn't the same color as the wood walls, you could even use a round fabric ottoman and then put a nice tray on the ottoman - gives the eye something else to look at. Your couch is also too similar in color to the carpet....you could update the carpet without a lot of expense and pick something with specs so it pulls color from the wood too. I think embracing the original wood is the way to go and spend your money on decor to bring it together. Good luck!
  • duxbay
    12 years ago
    That's easy add trim to ceiling wide wainscotting and paint white. Keep wall colors lite. I like BM Soft Chamois... works every time. Add punch of color with rugs pillows accessories and accent chair.
  • fuzzymama
    12 years ago
    NO NO NO NO NO. That's not cheap 1960's fake wood paneling. That's beautiful, real stuff. Quality. I agree: you need to embrace the room's beauty rather than try to turn it into something it's not. There's not enough windows in there to have a breezy room full of natural light. Don't fight it!

I know it sounds strange, but painting the ceiling something other than white (or cream) will help bring out the beauty of the wood and give the room more color and drama.

I'm trying to find some examples:
    http://1912bungalow.com/2004/02/removing-paint-and-refinishing/
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info

Debra Campbell Design · More Info

Crisp Architects · More Info

(That one's got a white ceiling, I know, but can you see how the pumpkin and the wood beam glow when placed against each other?)

Hope that helps...
  • duxbay
    12 years ago
  • hrhlaurie
    12 years ago
    I love the picture uploaded by duxbay. How could you ever have a bad day in this room?
  • PRO
    Molto Bene Studios
    12 years ago
    you would need a professional for this - but if the quality of wood is high enough that you don't feel right just painting it over, and you don't like the idea of a lighter wood stain, you might consider either limewashing the wood (painting the wood with limewash) or pickling the wood (recommended for oak). Google both methods for more details.
  • Barbara Centofante
    12 years ago
    I really like some of the Houzz examples of painting the ceiling a metallic color ! Embrace the real wood don't paint it !
  • Linda
    12 years ago
    Lots of great comments. I will take the long perspective with this room. At the moment wood is out and paint/really neutral paint is in. I like paint but you have real wood...put in by a craftsman...it will never really go out of fashion and someday it will return in popularity. I would not do something that is almost irreversable when there are many other thngs you can do to that room. Have money ... put in limestone floors and run them into that hallway to tie the rooms together. Then put some beautiful light-colored area rugs on the new limestone to define your living areas. Floors are often expensive so they get overlooked but your room craves floors that are up to the caliber of the walls.
    Next, get a lighting designer brighten up the room with spots, downlights, uplights, etc. Lamps don't do it for fading baby boomers eyes these days.
    Get rid of the bi-fold doors on the bar and the glass doors on the fireplace. The suggestions to paint the inside of the built-ins are great.... another opportunity to lighten the space. The mantel looks out of proportion on the fireplace...maybe a new stone veneer or parge the brick with smooth, tinted plaster. Good luck.
  • Brenda Sullivan
    12 years ago
    I would not even consider painting that wood! I completely agree with a couple of other posts that the ceiling should be painted something other than white. How about a medium tone blue/green to cool down all the warm colors of the wood? Consider your ceiling to be your "fifth wall" and do something fun like a faux finish or metallic finish to give it some depth and interest. Also, remember that furniture placement is key to having a pulled together room. Bring the furniture in closer to create a cozy conversation area around the focal point of the room which is the fireplace. If you are purchasing furnishings, consider pieces that are not heavy wood (like the heavy wood sofa table in the picture). Iron legged tables would look nice with all of the wood, for example...
  • modifiedmargaret
    12 years ago
    I agree with fuzzymama - I love painted ceilings! It'll modernize the classic look of the wood and likely brighten things up.
  • PRO
    Diana Dyer Diana M Dyer Design Services LLC
    12 years ago
    I would paint, paint and more paint. If you can use wood trim over the red brick fireplace. Create a panel effect above and traditional surround.
    Also the ceiling could be changed to a box coffer design, use existing beams as a starting point. Built-in's ? maybe more trim and wall panels. I would remove the "old panel walls" drywall and add trim.Add darker flooring , lighting.
    This will become a warm inviting space :)
  • Lesley Vaux
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Check out all the great tips from our Facebook Fans too - http://on.fb.me/jbBS94

You have so many great ideas to run with now, tuvster2009! We can't wait to see what you come up with - please share pics and keep us updated on what you do. Good luck!
  • anneadam
    12 years ago
    Someday natural wood walls will come back into vogue - everything cycles. At that time, if you're still in the house and you didn't paint you can sit back and smile. On the other hand, if it's not your forever house you may want to paint so that you can enjoy it now and then sell before you have to restore it.
  • PRO
    Julie Fergus, ASID
    12 years ago
    Too much wood is dated and dull. Here is a before and after of a project I did. For more ideas visit my website. www.juliefergus.com
  • suzoh
    12 years ago
    I would paint. Even if it looks like good wood, if it feels heavy and dark to you, you won't be happy in it. If you wanted to go half-way you could probably have the wood refinished with a lighter stain.
  • A M
    12 years ago
    The thing about paint is that you have to repaint. We have the same wood paneling in our living room and have decided against painting it after doing some work on an upstairs bedroom that had similar woodworking. We did it the right way (degloss, strip finish, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand, paint 1 coat, paint 2nd coat, paint 3rd coat) and it took f o r e v e r and still needs another two coats of paint. We're going to simply degloss our living room panels and see how that looks, I have found some pictures on houzz that show an amazing room with wood that doesn't have that glossy sheen that is what is dating this actually. I'll try to find it and repost here.
  • A M
    12 years ago
    Okay, I looked at your pics again and I think it's the ceiling beams that are making that room feel like a cave. The height is too low to have beams so heavy. I would remove them or consider painting them a shade lighter than the ceiling and having the ceiling a creamy white. juliefergus (above) has a red room that has low ceilings with beams painted what looks to be white on a creamy base. Looks nice. Also, I have several pictures of painted and unpainted paneling in my 'living room' ideabook if you want to take a look: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/155885/list/living-room. I couldn't find the one picture I was looking for but I'll keep searching and add it. You might consider deglossing everything (I think the clear coats have yellowed over time), selecting a few builtins to focus on and paint them or refinish them so it isn't so matchy-matchy. Maybe find a nice white and paint that big dark ominous one, take the top moulding off and replace it with something more substantial, change out the doors also to something with cleaner lines. Remove the mirros on the other built in and paint that one another neutral color. Leave the rest wood finish. It's so trendy to piece together kitchens this way - why not do it in your living room too!
  • Carly Bouwman
    12 years ago
    Personally I think the wood paneling and the fireplace look very dated and it's a lot of wood for one room. I would take out the built-in and put in another window if possible and either remove all of the paneling or paint it one light neutral color (in satin finish). If you're going to keep the brick, the mantle should be simple and functional in a color/material that compliments your furniture :)
  • Carly Bouwman
    12 years ago
    oh, and I LOVE LOVE the room photo uploaded by Duxaby... I would HIGHLY recommend that look, just choose a warmer gray that will compliment your carpet colour, or replace the carpet with hardwood/laminate like the photo.
  • karlyp
    12 years ago
    Excellent room--consider wooden floors!!. 'All the trees don't match in the forest'!
  • PRO
    Court Atkins Group
    11 years ago
    Ok...take the mantel down, paint the brick something fresh. Keep the paneling in the room, replace the carpet with a fun pattern - perhaps something ikat-ish. Or fresh plaid. Then wallpaper the ceiling between the beams with something equally as fun. This will update your look without having to go paint crazy.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.