monziejoinery

bathroom help needed for turreted gatehouse

Monzie Joinery
7 years ago

looking for ideas for bathroom in a special building. Budgets are tight and I'd like to keep it to Gothic Revival but struggling to find inspiration. Help.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Sabbini & Co.
    7 years ago

Interesting looking project! Would love to help, drop me an email and we can discuss. damien@sabbini.com

Monzie Joinery thanked Sabbini & Co.
  • Stephen Edwards
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If the sanitary ware has already been chosen then your options will be more limited. I would have suggested plain white with a wall mounted cistern with brass joining pipe and black or dark wood loo seat. The basin built into a marble topped console and a plain white bath with mahogany surround. If the budget is really tight I would suggest picking Pugin colours and possibly stecilling the patterns onto the walls. A good source of interior inspiration for the style would be Castell Coch.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=castell+coch&client=firefox-b-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGodzZyPjOAhWEvhQKHYgaCOYQ7AkIPA&biw=1366&bih=657#tbm=isch&q=castell+coch+interior]

It sounds like a very interesting project.

Monzie Joinery thanked Stephen Edwards
  • PRO
    Monzie Joinery
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sanitary ware has not been chosen yet, this is what I'm struggling with! The window is about the same size as the windows in the photo on the right hand side and is latticed. We have original cast iron bath, which I was thinking of having re-enamelled, but worried it might be freezing cold, has anyone any experience with this? Thank you!

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I've got one (with gargoyle feet!) and although I admit I don't use it very often I find it retains the heat well

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    Would it be possible to only have a glass shower screen between the shower and the sink? So you'll basically have that part of the bathroom as a wet room?
    Ignore the style of the bathroom, but I mean something like in this photo
    Hamilton House · More Info
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    You could do panelling around the rest of the walls, maybe make it with a Gothic arch detail.
    Croxted Road - Dulwich · More Info
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Panelling more like this, but perhaps with gothic arched tops?
    Mylands Colours of London Blues & Greens · More Info
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Moroccan Lounge · More Info
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    Is it too late to change the plumbing layout? I think it would be more in keeping with the period feel to only have the bath and washbasin visible, and hide the loo and shower. If you had a partial partition across the room you could position a freestanding bath in front of it so that was the focal point as you entered from the bedroom, and hide the loo and shower behind, accessing one from one side of the bath and one from the other. They would still be in roughly the same position as your current plan. Then put a washbasin or vanity unit that looks gothic on the wall backing onto your bedroom. If rearranging causes problems with plumbing then raising the bath shower and loo section so you stepped up to it would give plenty of room to play with under a raised floor. If you panelled the partition you would add to the gothic feel.
  • temple274
    7 years ago
    Sorry, looking at it again the room seems a little narrow for my suggestion, unless you use a short bath?
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.