penny_arneja24

Raised borders or tall planter pots

Penny Arneja
7 years ago
I am looking at getting my garden done. The plan is to have artificial grass and put the trampoline in the corner next to the shed. There is a major problem with foxes digging up the borders so they can go under the fence, so think raised borders or tall rectangular planters along the side would stop them. I would really like white rendered raised borders but think it may be too expensive. Can anyone provide any advice as to whether tall rectangular planters can achieve a similar look or would it be better to save a bit more and get the rendered borders. I attach a photo of the garden in its current state.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Livingreen Design Ltd
    7 years ago

Hi, Have a look at www.livingreendesign.com have a look at the barrier ranges and also bespoke projects. I'm sure you will find planters that would do the job.

• PRO
    Annie Nicholl Garden Design & Consultancy
    7 years ago

Hi Penny, Have you thought of maybe using sleepers to build some raised beds? Probably cheaper than planters - can be filled with some lovely fresh compost and then planted up with some great climbers and interesting perennials.

• Penny Arneja
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Annie, thanks for the advice. It did cross my mind but I quite look a contemporary look and not sure railway sleepers would do this. Did also think of making raised borders from just treated wood and painting them white - aargh so confused!
  • Flo G
    7 years ago
    Although it may not be the first idea that comes to mind when facing foxes, a cheap solution is to get a man to urinate around the perimeter. This sounds odd and a little foul, but because foxes have good noses (like dogs) and are territorial (like wolves) they will smell it and understand it as the area belonging to a different pack and avoid your garden. Don't let this stop you from getting those planters you mentioned though! They sounded stylish, and the white will bounce more light around a city garden.
  • PRO
    Landscape Design by James Brunton-Smith Limited
    7 years ago
    My personal opinion is the white rendered border approach would give you the look you seek and will if built on the boundary stop some of the fox intrusion.....but it won't prevent them dropping in over the fence and putting little muddy footprints everywhere lol.

It does cost more but definitely worth the wait I think - I have attached a couple of examples
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.