sunandthemoon

Skinny posts

sunandthemoon
8 years ago
We recently bought a new house and the posts outside look very thin. Any ideas of what might look a little more proportionate?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    PPF.
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

6x6 or 8x8. If you can find a big piece of cardboard, you can cut it to width and nail it to the existing post to give you an idea of scale.

Painted white, for example, will make them stand out as well.

• User
    8 years ago

You can have "skirts" built at their base to about 3 ft. up.

• drememon
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

No to "skirts" on those posts. They're simply structural,and skimpy looking, probably 4x4 posts. Most places, they'd have been replaced (or dressed) with some kind of column, before you bought the home. Now, you will now have to do it.

There are a number of "kits' available to allow you to make them look bigger, if the post supports the load.

• emmarene9
    8 years ago

Four by four is standard. They look fine to me but if you want larger go up to six by six. My porch roof rests on a beam. Then the posts attache under the beam. I think it is a better look.

• . .
    8 years ago

Double them up with another 4x4. You can leave a gap for a slightly arts and crafts appearance or slam them together and face them with facia boards. I would opt for the gap, adds detail.

• sunandthemoon
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @drememon, where would I find these kits?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Look for column wraps:

Fypon eCatalog · More Info

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

6" Columns would look much better.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.