joan_zong

what's this

Joan
8 years ago
this is part of the wall of entry way in my newly bought house. i'm wondering what it is. who can give me some advice how to decorate it.(every guest who passes by would ask what it is)

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    8 years ago

can we have a bigger shot at what we are looking at??? back up with the camera.

• tallgrassdesign
    8 years ago
    Do you have any idea of what is behind the wall? It looks like someone's attempt to disguise a patch job rather than properly mud and tape a repair. Did the sellers' disclosure mention any sort of repair in this area? If it really bugs you, you can always remove the trim to try to gain a better understanding of the situation. Or you can hang artwork in the space and live with it.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    8 years ago

that's why I asked for a larger shot. Is this the only spot on that wall with this 'thing' on it? if so, then it probably was a cover-up. Either that or a very poor execution of a trial spot of wainscot.

• julesxoxo
    8 years ago
    What is on the other side of the wall? It seems like an access panel to me but hard to tell from your picture.
  • leelee
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

This is another attempt of a builder trying to be creative (bad idea) and it makes you have a design dilemma. If you don't like it because it limits your choices of what to do on this wall and you don't want to respond to the questions your guest will have then remove it and repair the drywall. That will not be expensive.

• Architectural Notice
    8 years ago

It looks like an access panel to me.

• Joan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    thank you all!
    there's garage on the other side of the wall. i mean, behind the wall. and I'm very sure that's the only spot with the 'thing' on that wall. here is a bigger picture of it.
  • Depo
    8 years ago

Wow, it's huge! I think it was the builder trying to be "creative". Maybe meant as a niche for art?

• susan2494
    8 years ago

Looks like the builder was trying to be "creative" with some architectural interest. Totally failed.

• smileythecat
    8 years ago

Find some art, I think it could be great. Possibly three dimensional.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago

First I thought it was an access panel, but if there is a garage behind they could have access from behind, so it could be some sort of a decorative thing just to break up that wall span. Cut a small hole in the garage and see if anything behind, maybe there is a hidden fortune in the wall, you can always patch the hole.

Good luck

• smileythecat
    8 years ago

I would think an access panel would have some hinges, it is a niche.

• erinsean
    8 years ago

How about having a mirror cut to fit inside and paint the outside like a frame? Or if you could find some art that size, do the same thing and paint the niche like a frame. Put your cute little flowered bench in front of it or a lower console table in front of it with a lamp on it and you are good to go. Otherwise get some art or a framed mirror and use that in front....will just look thicker from the side.

• S Bailey
    8 years ago

How about taking it down! Not that expensive to remove, tape and mud and repaint. It's awful.

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    8 years ago

will look great if you put a wall art ....for more artwork check my shop to...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

• PRO
    Bilgart Design
    8 years ago

I second that opinion:loose it!

• PRO
    Pamela Qarbaghi
    8 years ago

If you didn't want to go to the expense of removing it, maybe you could find a large, deep piece of art to hang over it. I have some large pieces here, but not sure if 1.5 inches deep would cover this lovely anomaly. http://www.houzz.com/projects/1295077/art-original-abstract-paintings

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

Place a mirror inside of it & add a low console table with a lamp on it. A stool beside the console for taking off shoes.

Uttermost Rusul Iron Console Table · More Info

Outdoor Navy Blue French Quarter Small Cube · More Info

Uttermost Malawi Cheetah Print Table Lamp · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    8 years ago

Get a mirror cut to that size, change out the trim (or keep it) for the frame, maybe paint a different color and put little table under it?? Or just get rid of the whole thing. plan a is the cheaper option! Or make a big photo gallery and incorporate it somehow. Whatever you do, it's still one of the most bizarre things I've seen lately!

• Heidi Therrien
    8 years ago
    You could put some hooks for keys. Then cork board for messages. Then also add a square of chicken wire on a portion for inspirational notes.That is if it's your thing.
  • sandradclark
    8 years ago

On seeing it a second time, I think it's too low for any type of design element. Cut it off & repair the messed up drywall.

• smileythecat
    8 years ago

Go to current discussion My own homemade art tell me what you think. That will get your imagination going.Its on page 3or 4. wish I had the skill to link you to it.

• User
    8 years ago
    Joan is that on the lower part of the wall near the floor? Is it an old house? Perhaps it was a telephone niche at one time, but can't tell where it's situated on the wall.
  • digger96 4b MN
    8 years ago

If this is an older house the garage could be an add on and there may have originally been a window there. Also I question if the wall with the double doors is original as the exterior door is clearly not centered at the end of the hallway. The object in question could have just been placed there to (albeit poorly) balance the view down the hallway. I picture it with a blank flat wall there and find myself not caring for it. It's a tough space.

• Joan
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    no it's not an old house. it was built in 2001. i never saw things like that anyway. yes it's flat wall with the thick frame which is very weird.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.