emmelinewe

POLL: Matt or glossy kitchen?

Emmeline Westin
18 January, 2016

Which cabinet finish do you have in your kitchen? Or which finish are you going for if you're currently planning a kitchen upgrade?

Matt or glossy - what do you prefer?

Kitchen · More Info

Matt
Glossy
Other - tell us below!

Husker Limited

Watermarks!

A BEAUTIFUL PLACE .es

Matt makes space more calm and natural and it's easier to keep clean.

Matt Antrobus Design

Coming from my clients perspective, matt seems to win over gloss at the moment.

DAP Construction

Matt Emulsion Walls Main Rooms. Vinyl Silk Kitchens. Feature walls Hang some decorative wall paper or stick old oak flooring to a main feature wall as we done on a job in oxshott surrey.

AC Architecture

Matt is definitely my personal preference, i feel gloss can make your kitchen look dated.

Specialist Ceramics Ltd

I prefer glossy , I think it looks more modern.

pb bespoke kitchens

I prefer a matt (eggshell finish) preferably hand painted as opposed to spraying

Classic Kitchens Direct

We go matt all the way, less fingerprints visible

Parker Developments

Here is an example of one of our matt kitchens that we have installed, offset by a glossy floor and worktop. We think this looks sleek, modern, and is easy to keep clean!

Cottenham · More Info

• closed

We think that glossy kitchens bring in more light!

Nohbec

We find our clients really love matt kitchens.

Naylor and Fay

We have found our clients love matt finishes.

Country Image

Matt finishes tend to be more practical, and they look so good.

Metal Monkey Designs

Our clients love the sleek look that gloss provides!

Sacha Barnes Limited

Matt is easier on the eye.

pb bespoke kitchens

This bespoke high gloss kitchen was manufactured and installed by pb bespoke kitchens for a large house in Battersea about 8 years ago. Since then our clients have opted for hand painted matt or mid sheen finishes.

Crescent Architects Ltd

Prefer matt in dark colours

Starfish Interiors Ltd

Really depends on the client/age/style of house, durability and longevity style wise? Matt absolutely! if you want high def faddish now style, for the throwaway consumer? gloss all the way!

Daia

Glossy is easy to clean but matt seems to be the going trend at the moment and still very easy to clean using a microfibre cloth

Hawkespur Ltd

We find that our clients prefer matte kitchens in modern homes.

Grange Kitchens

I think it will reflect more light in to you room.

Adornas Kitchens & Interiors

We love matt kitchens! Easy to keep clean, but also luxurious!

Making the World Beautiful

We prefer matt style

• Dan Jones

We find matt kitchens look great!

Blax German Kitchens

Luxurious and modern homes look great with Matt kitchens, definately something for the professional person...

Point 5 Kitchens Ltd

Definitely glossy

Mobalpa Ealing

why not have a contrast - be unique!

Le Lay Architects

Matt kitchens

1st Choice Decorators

matt looks a lot better

Express Marbles & Granite LTD

I must say am definitely a gloss fun.

County Interiors

Depending on the size of the room, gloss will give a more spacious appearance from reflections in a small room but matt works very well in for large empty rooms.

Redwood Joinery Limited

Just bought a Victorian House. Matt is definitely more in character with the building for me!

Oasys Property Solutions

I prefer matt, but then perhaps am biased having just had a matt black and white kitchen installed. To me, there are already enough reflective surfaces in the kitchen in the form of ovens, hobs etc that the matt provides a nice contrast. Perhaps we took it to the extreme with a matt glass splashback and tap!

96HR Extensions, remodelling & refurbishment · More Info

ARCHIAN

Our clients prefer glossy kitchens because they go well with the lightings and the space.

Jerome Walden Cabinet Makers

We think matt finishes work nicely .

Lifestyle Designs NE Ltd

Matt is Definitely on trend at the minute.

Any Old Lights Ltd

Matt every time - oozes contemporary and will never date.

Sheraton Interiors

I vote Matt!

Peter Hince

Matt all day but in durable paint!

Red Leaf Kitchens & Interiors

Why note try a bit of both, one of our new kitchen displays in our showroom have matt wall units and high gloss floor units, and some colour added in with a glass splash back

Kitchen Care Stafford

Matt for us, so much more practical for everyday use.

Previous projects · More Info

Ashwood Artisan

I prefer matt as it doesn't show all the finger marks

Your Hubb
    Gloss. Easy to keep clean and looks great. Definately helps in smaller kitchens so the light bounces off to make the room feel bigger and brighter.
    Wood Works Brighton

Matt is a much easier finish to keep clean .

• brendan_p_donegan

I find the comments here very interesting and useful. We had our kitchen custom made twelve years ago.

We chose spraying in low sheen 25%. The kitchen was fitted "raw" and then removed to the spray shop. The finish has proved so durable and easy to clean that it is only now going to have a colour change.

Twelve years of the same (F&B) colour sounds so boring but the time has flown. The rest of the room including ceiling has been repainted every three years or four years.

So now, I am awaiting samples of Brassica and Pelt either being the potential solution for the island and either Dove Tail or Manor House for the cabinets

I may send the doors and draw fronts away for spraying and use aerosol paint (available in F&B colours) for the framing and any visible side panels plus the island.

Any thoughts please on these potential choices.

Blimey! What a long post and my first here at that.

Thank you

• brendan_p_donegan

P.S. Has the Grey Ship sailed?

DN DESIGN

Glossy all the way for me. Perfect for bouncing light around the room and I find the sheen adds texture and dimension in the room. Our kitchen is very busy with two small children running around and we have no trouble with the doors, even covered in little finger and handprints. Eggshell is also a great choice if you are in neutral territory with these choice - Brendan, the F&B is a wonderful choice, very durable and long lasting as you know. Don't worry, the grey ship hasn't sailed yet - I don't think it will for quite some time yet! Brassica is a beautiful shade, but will be quite grey and powerful - perhaps team with a lighter, brighter colour or a bold colourful shade. Little Greene also have some wonderful colours. Hope this helps!

• brendan_p_donegan

Thank you for that Danielle - very helpful.

The eventual colour choice, if I go for respraying, will be F&B because the sprayers and aerosol suppliers (the latter for DIY) do not make up Little Greene colours, if however I decide on hand painting, the choice of manufacturer would widen to include LG.

• janyeo33

Well i came on here confused as to what to have for my new kitchen and am leaving more confused than ever..I still love a modern matt shaker but my husband thinks it looks old fashioned now and prefers 'shiny' "We have been trying to make up our mind so long, i think moving might be the answer"I ant it too look fabulous but also not plasticy looking. Please some of you itchen companies, tell me what you find looks best and whether a tiled or laminate or wood floor now complete the look more at this time. Also i am thinking of Silestone Quartz tops does anyone feel they would not recommend those having had them? Help will be appreciated.

xx