annken

need help downsizing and designing for ease of use with a disability

annken
last modified: 4 years ago

as you know my project is MOVING HOME. i couldnt get the google 'design your own house' app because i have an old applemac! i find in my home there is actually too much space, to be walking all around finding stuff back and forth when you have a disability its exhausting, the home isnt suitable to be in the wheelchair, a badly redesigned space. so i will be MOVING to (hopefully) a smaller space, same stuff to move, but need better use of space and less movement even in a wheelchair, are there articles on this or peoples ideas from experience or professional advice. still looking for the home and the costs elements, not so easy peasy my friends

Ikonografik Design

It's difficult to provide decent advice with limited information. Issues to consider:

- access to the front door of new house, is it level or on a low slope?

- is there level access from all external doors? i.e. no steps up or down. Do you need a ramp building with handrails?

- is there a toilet downstairs? Do you need mobility aids like grab rails and emergency call systems?

- doors need to be wide enough to get through. Assuming you use a wheelchair you may need wider doors.

- is the new house on a single storey only? Bungalow? Obviously better if it is as there are no stairs to navigate.

- steps and stairs generally - try to avoid properties with these or make sure they are limited or have a low rise and large tread area.

- age of new house. The newer it is the more likely it is to more suited for accessibility. The older it is the harder it will be. New houses have access requirement regulations to comply with.

- do you need an accessible kitchen? Larger space needed with low worktops for wheelchairs?

Not sure if this is any help but maybe it is..?

• annken

we both have our own homes, we are selling up, they have been adapted already but we need out of this place. we are unhappy here. one thing though it has tought me what i do need and what i can do without. i will be more and more a wheelchair user. right now the house is small and certainly a very difficult bungalow to go around the property in a wheelchair, even though the doors have been widened, the corridor far too small, there actually was no point in widening the doors if its so darn hard getting into the next room even still. i want an open plan rectangle, i also believe i do not need all 'kitchen' at this stage. so alot would go from this experience. i am not looking forward to a move AT ALL. i am tired.